Starting a cleaning business?

Okay so my family and I recently moved. It's been 2 months and we still haven't been employed (I know the economy is **** but ugh). Anyway, my mom suggested that she and I go into business cleaning vacant apartments and condos. My mom had her own business she did with my sister back in 2004. During that time she charged like $60 for 1 bedroom and then a $15 increase per bedroom.

I know time's have changed and the dollar is worth less now, so what should we charge now?

I'm getting everything ready for this because I think it's a great idea. I live in a place with a lot of apartments and condos. (I live in Florida if that helps the pricing situation)

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

1. Determine what type of cleaning service you wish to provide. It could be residential house cleaning, window cleaning, carpet cleaning, commercial building cleaning or a Laundromat, for example.

2. Explore the business opportunities that can be offered in the sector of your choice. Understand the market trends, local competitors, current rates, profit margin and assess your investment options.

3. Decide whether you want your cleaning business to be a part-time or a full time business. You will need to put in extra effort if this is your primary source of income.

4. Verify your financial resources. Check all bank accounts, deposits, shares or any other sources of income and get a fair insight about your financial status. This will give you an idea of your investment capacity at the moment.

5. Understand that you can start with minimal investment. This type of business does not demand heavy investment in equipment, instructional courses, maintenance and extravagant set ups. You can actually start the operation from home (or hire a small office, if you can) with a few basic cleaning supplies like brooms, mops, cleaning solutions and vacuum cleaners. You may also need a vehicle to commute workers and materials to the cleaning destination. If you are planning on starting a Laundromat, you may want to rent a bigger area to store washing machines and dryers as well as need more investment to purchase the equipment.

6. Determine the legal formalities that you need to comply with before starting the business. You may need documents such as a license or insurance from the government or your local authorities.

7. Hire and train the cleaning staff. The number of them depends on your budget and your requirement. You can hire more employees when the business expands.

8. Start with just one type of service such as residential cleaning or carpet cleaning. Do not offer a range of services unless you have the capability and resources. You can expand with related services later.

9. Advertise your name and the service. You can place ads in local newspapers, circulate pamphlets in the neighborhood, hand out business cards, ask your friends and family to spread the word and put up notices at public places.

10. Ensure that you offer the best cleaning services. Get in touch with your customers, understand their likes and dislikes, make it a point to get their feedback regarding your work and also attend to their complaints.

Hi! I blank small workplaces (see my Profile) and feature peers who do residential cleansing. The time period "deep cleansing" on the whole refers to properties and companies that experience now not been professionally wiped clean in months or years. It is an particularly thorough cleansing and it might be tough to do this commonly for the equal position. Much greater to do an preliminary deep blank with a contractual weekly/bi-weekly cleansing. $one hundred fifty is a fair minimal rate for 2 men and women doing a deep cleansing-however that will depend on the scale of dwelling and precisely what you're going to do for a deep cleansing. Better for you and your peers to do a little train cleansing to check how lengthy it takes to do every chore, established a pricing sheet and use that to do estimates for deep cleansing. More recommendations and assets are at my Squidoo lens-the hyperlink is in My Profile. Go For It and Good Luck!!