Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

My family found a cute puppy, gave him to a shelter and they think hes a pit & are going to kill it HELP!!!?

My family found a cute puppy who we thought is a mastiff/boxer mix because he looks exactly like that breed. My aunt took him to the shelter in saginaw, MI and they think the puppy is part pit theyre giving him until tomorrow for his owner to claim him EVEN THOUGH HES A STRAY AND DOESNT HAVE A OWNER!! And then euthinize him. They wont give him back to us because they know we arent his owner and dont have proof. CAN they just kill him because they are assuming hes part pitbull. IS THERE ANYTHING MY COUSIN AND I COULD DO or IS THERE A HIGHER AUTHORITY, OR ANIMAL RIGHTS LAW I COULD LET THEM KNOW ABOUT so they will give him to me!!?!! THIS IS NOT RIGHT OR FAIR please help!!!! HES SO NICE :(

Update:

they dont adopt out pitbulls!! and they think he is one!!

Update 2:

who do i report them to?

Update 3:

unless we have medical records they wont let us take him. The shelter there doesnt know me so I would go in there and claim his and mine, but I dont have medical records they wont accept a picture either...

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

FINALLY figured it out. Right now, there are some special conditions that apply to "dangerous dogs." If the breed is in the top 5 of some list they make up, the rules are:

94.14 STANDARDS.

The keeping of such dog(s), and any other dangerous dog(s), is subject to the following

standards:

(A) Leash. No person shall permit a dangerous dog to go outside its kennel, pen, or

fenced yard, unless such dog is securely leashed with a leash of adequate strength to restrain

the dog. No person shall permit such a dog to be kept on a chain, rope or other type of leash

outside its kennel, pen or fenced yard, unless a person is in physical control of the leash. Dogs

outside their kennel, pen or fenced yard may not be leashed to inanimate objects such as trees,

posts, buildings, etc.

(B) Confinement. All dangerous dogs shall be securely confined indoors or in a

securely enclosed and locked pen or kennel, except when leashed as above provided. Such

pen, kennel or structure must have secure sides of at least 4’ feet in height above ground. All

structures used to confine such dogs must be locked with a key or combination lock when such

dog(s) are within the structure. Such structure must be constructed and at all times maintained

in such a manner as to effectively prevent the dog(s) from escaping the confines of the

enclosure. Such pen or kennel shall not be constructed to interfere or obstruct access to any

metering device provided by the City or other public agencies. All structures erected to house

such dogs must comply with all zoning and building regulations of the City. All such structures

must be adequately lighted and ventilated and kept in a clean and sanitary condition.

(C) Confinement Indoors. No registered dangerous dog may be kept on a porch, patio

or in any part of a house or structure that would allow the dog to exit such building on its own

volition.

(D) Signs. All owners, keepers or harborers of dangerous dogs within the City shall

within five (5) days of registration display one (1) sign provided by the City Clerk at the time of

registration, which shall be mounted in a prominent place on the front of the premises visible

from the street. The charge for the signs shall be included in the registration fee at no additional

cost to the applicant. A fee of ten ($10.00) dollars shall be incurred by the licensee for the

replacement of any sign due to loss or damage.

And that's it. So there is no law that says shelters cannot adopt them out, or has to put them down. It's up to the shelter. You should find out how long the shelter policy says they are to hold a stray, and if you can manage it, get someone to go in and claim him as theirs. Then take him to a NO KILL shelter.

• Sue F
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Once an animal is turned over to a shelter, the shelter has to make the decisions about how long they can keep that animal. Unfortunately, there are tens of thousands of unwanted and stray animals around the world, and not many shelters can afford to keep them alive and feed them indefinitely.

You are not the owner, the shelter knows that you are not the owner, since your aunt turned him over to the shelter and there is not much you can do about it. If your family made the decision to turn the pup over to the shelter, they have already decided that they do not want the dog to become a member of your family. I am sure they have their reasons, you need to talk to your aunt about that.

Pit bulls do not have a very good reputation, due to many people, especially children that have been injured when one of the pit bulls have attacked and bitten them; many times without provocation. The people who run the shelter are expert in recognizing different breeds and even mixed breeds of dogs, they deal with this on a daily basis.

If you check with the animal control officer in your area and or the local police they can likely tell you that there has been problems in your area with pit bulls, and the shelters have the right and obligation, due to the law to euthanize this pup if it's owner cannot be found.

It is sad, and I hope the owner will be united with their pup, but some things are out of your control in life. If you love animals so much maybe you could spend some time looking into raising money to fund a no-kill shelter in your area, which is a shelter which will provide a permanent home for lost and unwanted animals.

Thank you for being an animal advocate at a young age, with more people like you we will have less strays, and more animals being taken care of properly.

If more people would spay and neuter their pets, we would not have so many unwanted animals in shelters and on the streets.

• 8 years ago

Being a stray, he probably would have been PTS regardless of breed. It's sad, but sometimes, life is sad.

The thing that worries me is that he only has a day. Most places here give at least three days for an owner to claim an animal before putting the animal down.

They don't "have" to adopt any animal to anyone. They have to follow their policies. Keep in mind that the workers may not even agree with them. They're just doing what they're told to do like anyone else with a job that isn't a higher up has to do.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

With every day pass, our country is getting into more and more trouble. The inflation, unemployment and falling value of dollar are the main concern for our Government but authorities are just sleeping, they don’t want to face the fact. Media is also involve in it, they are force to stop showing the real economic situation to the people. I start getting more concern about my future as well as my family after watching the response of our Government for the people that affected by hurricane Katrina.

According to recent studies made by World Bank, the coming crisis will be far worse than initially predicted. So if you're already preparing for the crisis (or haven't started yet) make sure you watch this video at http://www.familysurvival.tv and discover the 4 BIG issues you'll have to deal with when the crisis hits, and how to solve them fast (before the disaster strikes your town!) without spending $1,000s on overrated items and useless survival books.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

That is wrong if they can put him down under an assumption that he's a pitbull & since he's nice i'd say that's animal cruelty! (i though shelters allowed u to adopt them if they don't have an owner. Try asking about adopting him, cus i don't think they'll kill him if u want to keep him, would they? If they did then that's just wrong.) i wish u luck!

• 8 years ago

Did you tell them he's a stray! Omg there killing hom because hes a pitbull report them if its a stray you have a right to take it in as long as you pay that fee

• 8 years ago

Life isn't fair.

No. No and no. Yes they can just put him down on the assumption more so when Saginaw has BSL in place.

ETA: Report them for what? They aren't breaking any laws. Is it fair? No, but that's life.

• 8 years ago

Even if you do not want the dog, adopt him. They can not tell you no. If you do not want the dog you can go surrender him to a no kill shelter. Otherwise, congratulations on the addition to your family.

• 8 years ago

Thats not right. At all. And it shouldn't matter if he's pitbull.

Anyways. Send out emails to everyone you know, spread the word. Maybe the owner will hear?

• 8 years ago

Go to them tell then if the owner dosnt claim them that you want to adopt him from the shelter . They can't tell you no .

Source(s): Me
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.