Do you see anything wrong with denying marriage licenses to illegals who lack certain identification?

MONTGOMERY — The Southern Poverty Law Center on Wednesday filed a lawsuit against 55 Alabama counties, including some in Northeast Alabama, that allegedly deny marriage licenses to undocumented immigrants who lack certain identification.

The SPLC sued Montgomery County and named Blount, Cherokee, DeKalb and Marshall counties among the 55 that allegedly deny undocumented immigrants a marriage license.

The lawsuit does not name Etowah County, where some leeway is allowed in providing certain documents for a marriage license.

SPLC Legal Director Mary Bauer said policies by some probate judges violate a fundamental and constitutional right to get married.

“There’s no reason why anyone should have to produce their ‘papers’ before they say ‘I do,’” she said.

The lawsuit filed against Montgomery County Probate Judge Reese McKinney seeks class action status.

“We can’t allow elected judges to decide who gets married,” said Freddy Rubio, a Birmingham attorney who also is involved in the federal lawsuit over H.B. 56, Alabama’s immigration law.

Bauer said the lawsuit was filed on behalf of Linda Smith, a 37-year-old U.S. citizen, and plaintiff “John Doe,” a 39-year-old Mexican citizen, who were unable to get a marriage license because Doe does not have required documentation.

The complaint said Doe does not have a Social Security number and cannot show proof of legal presence in the country. He has a Mexican passport, a birth certificate, Mexican consulate identification and other Mexican-government issued documents, the lawsuit said.

6 Answers

  • KIZE
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    No. he should be picked up on the spot.

  • 9 years ago

    If they return to their country and come back as a legal they won't need to marry for citizenship and can perhaps get their birth certificate through an agency that will also get them a work visa. We really need to get a larger and better wall so they can't come here and assist with our crumbling economy.

  • ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    tremendous theory! we may be able to also provide out college identity's to toddler molesters as a fashion to chosen their next sufferer with out having to loaf round at parks, etc.! What a set of @@#^%$$$% morons there could be in utah! does no longer that be assisting and abetting an unlawful alien? What about the babies they make into the line kill of the day? Are the mum and dad going to thank the state because their little Suzie grow to be killed through someone the state KNEW grow to be right here illegally and gave them driving privileges anyhow? i can see it now:"i might want to favor to thank the Utah state legislature for giving driving privileges to the unlawful, immoral, criminal invader that were given inebriated and ran down my little Johnny and in his attempt to flee dragged our little boy 1000 yards down the line turning his body into an unrecognizable pulp! It supplies me and the spouse tremendous exhilaration to understand this guy had Utah’s driving Privilege Card (DPC)!" no longer!

  • Jan
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    I see nothing wrong with it. Everyone who applies for a marriage license has to provide the required identification. They should not be exempt.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    I believe that, If he cannot show legal residency, then He needs to be deported,..& if somebody wants to marry him, then they can go down to Old Mexico, & marry him down there,..

    Source(s): I support the deportation of ALL illegals NOW,..
  • 9 years ago

    No, nothing wrong with it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.