Raising steers for profit in southwestern Arizona?

I live in Arizona and I have about 4 acres of land. I've been around livestock most of my life, but now that I'm 16 I want to raise some of my own beef cattle. I have friends that raise steers for auction, and I'm going to talk to them about it, but I figured the internet could help. I want to know stuff about buying feeding selling different breeds and age to buy, just stuff like that. Maybe some tips from people who have raised beef before? About feed, I don't have pasture to let them graze, so it'll probably be something like bales of grass and a sweet feed, but like I said I ain't never raised.

Thanks for the help!

Favorite Answer

As you already said you don't have the pastures to feed them. That is pretty bad unless you have a lot of money for supplemental feed (which in the end means that your "hobby farm" as I would call it makes losses, not wins). I call it hobby farm, as with 4 acres you won't be able to sustain more than around 4 fully grown head of cattle, unless you want to spend all your money on feed. Seeing all this you wont be able to raise steer for profit, unless you get pastures and than raise a few heads of cattle that won't make any real profit.

When I look at these main things I don't even have to start talking about breeding, feeding and management.

Sorry, maybe try working on a farm...

Source(s): Farmer