Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 8 years ago

Does the Confederate flag only stand for racism?

I'm wondering because there are people I know who own cars with confederate flag stickers and they have black friends. I don't know if that's the only thing it stands for

Best Answer

No it stands for the south. During the civil war it represented the south but it's linked to racism because MOST of the people that represented that flag were fighting for slavery to be legal and now it's linked to modern-day white supremacy. Technically, it only is a flag that shows southern pride but is widely considered racist still.

Hi MIA The Idea that the thousands of brave men who fought & died for the Confederacy, did so, in order that a very few slave owners could keep their slaves is absurd. And the Civil War did not begin over slavery. but rather it began, over the right of the Southern States to become independant, of the Federal Government in Washington D.C,. The freeing of the slaves, by Lincoln, was an "afterthought" & the "Imansipation Proclamation", was not issued until way into the war,.., Lincoln is on record as saying words to the effect, that, by freeing the slaves, he,.."did not intend, that they should become voters, or jururs, or hold public office, or intermarry, with WHITE persons,." due to the "Differences" between the races,..It was Lincolns plan to send the free slaves back to Africa,..And as to meaning the confederate flag, I would imagine that it would have whatever meaning the owner of it wanted it to have,..I am of Southern origin, & I figure that I should have eight great, great grandfathers, at about the time of the civil war, & if they had fought,and/or died for the South, then I would respect their memory, for that..And considering, the mess the Government in Washington D.C. has gotten America into, I sometimes think, that things might be better if the Conferedacy had won,..And if the 13 Colonies had a right to break off from England, then why didn't the Confederacy have the right to separate itself from the Union,.? And even today, I sometimes play a chorus or two of "DIXIE" on my banjo,..in honor of the Old South,..The land of my forefathers, as the words of the song go,..,,"In Dixie land,...where I was born,..early on one frosty morning,...look away,..look away,..look away,..Dixie Land,..". Tecopa Jack

Source(s): The "Stars & Bars" still decorate the flags of some southern states,..& I hope that they continue to do so,..in honor of those long dead brave men who fought the "good fight", The South shall rise again,..

It was a flag used to represent the southern states in The Civil War. The south were fighting FOR slavery to be an ongoing, er, lifestyle, and the north were fighting against it. Because the southerners wanted to keep slavery, people often associate them and the flag with racism, although it can just represent the southern states of America

Source(s): history class

Many people are proud of their southern heritage and I do not see anything wrong with that. The main thing that supports the racism aspect of the flag for me is the usage of it by the KKK. As some of the other people have said it didn't have much to do with slavery because only affluent people owned slaves, and would you give your life to preserve someone else's way of life? I doubt it would have helped my poor white ancestors to give up their lives over slavery. They had nothing to gain by that.

Pretty confusing isn't it! If you do some alternate research instead of just buying the crap they teach you and school and you'll discover racism has many flags!

• Mark

No, it doesn't.

@Adam: EXACTLY! One could say that the Confedarate flag is neutral, BUT people who tend to be racists tend also to fly that flag. (In the same way, there is nothing inherently wrong with 'white power' groups, but they tend to draw people who are neo-Nazis.)

well its kinda sorta a redneck thing ya know? I wouldn't exactly call it a racist thing but most of the time it is.

• pab

no it also stands for treason and a failed nation!

no

• Paul D

Maybe it stands for the Confederacy. I dunno just a crazy guess.