Getting a job at a daycare and bringing child to work?

I want to work, my husband is the only one working right now and I get bored at the house. Me and my child over these past 9 months have gotten bored with the parks and the few activities there are to do in this area for babies. My friend was telling me about how she used to work at a daycare and her child used to come to the daycare with her everyday? I don't know how to call or go up to a daycare and inquire about this. What do I say or how do I ask a daycare facility about this? Thanks so much to those of you who can answer my question or atleast give me some pointers!

Thanks everyone for your help, it will not let me close the question. But indeed I did take the advice of a few. I called up the daycares in town and a couple are hiring and for my son's age class. One daycare in perticular only has parent's of the children working there so that will probably be my best luck! This will be a good chance for my son to start interacting with other children and learning valuable lessons! And mostly I'll still be able to be there for everything! ;-)

• tanner
    Favorite Answer

I have a friend who worked in a daycare, as well as brought her son there. She was not allowed to work in the same group that her son was in, that was against the rules, which I find to be fair. She did have to pay to have her son in that daycare, however she was given a discount, which was not very big. Just like with every other child they need to make a profit. So although she was in the same place as her son, and did get to see her son, she did not really get to spend time with him or "work" with him. Actually she ended up quitting due to tension. She didn't agree with how the other employee handled things with her son, so she quit and took her son out. So you have to keep in mind that not everyone will do everything the same way as you, you may disagree with certain things, and just because you work there, does not mean that you or your child should get special treatment. If you see an ad in the paper of them hiring, fill out an app, than discuss the child situation at the end of your interview.

1

If you bring your child in to work than you should pay something. Especially if it is everyday. You may get a discount if you are working there but not if you are volunteering. It not really fair if you don't pay so kind of fee.

Working in a daycare is not easy work you are responsible for more than one child at a time. The other posters are right when the point out that you probably will not get to spend time with your daughter because there are other children to take care of.

Ask you friend if she had to pay, how much she had to pay, what she actually did and how she actually spent with her daughter.

It can take awhile to find the right child care setting so I suggest you begin now, before you have your job lined up. You will have 3 basic choices for child care. You won't want a "babysitter" as that is a teenager who cares for your children on an occassional basis at your home while you go out. What you want is a child care provider who provides care in her home or a child care center. Another option is a "nanny" or a person who comes to your home to care for your children. To find child care homes or centers you can begin with your yellow pages. From there you can also look online. You can do a search for something such as "child care" followed by the name of your town or county. Look in your yellow pages under "Child Care Referral Services" to see if your area has an organization that helps parents find child care. Where I live, the organization is called Child Care Network. It keeps a data base of all licensed facilities in our county. Parents can call and get a list of homes and centers that currently have openings and meet the criteria you need. I have been a licensed child care provider in my home for 22 years plus I am mom to 4. You will want to make a lot of phone calls and have interviews over the phone than make appointments to visit each facility. It can take quite a lot of phone calls and numerous visits before finding the option that is right for you and your children. Payment options are individual to each facility. Some homes and centers require you to pay ahead while others don't. I do not have a set payment schedule for my daycare. I prefer to work with each family individually and set up the payment plan that works best for them. Some pay weekly, some every other week. I've even had a few families who pay monthly. I charge after the care has taken place. Many daycare centers charge in advance, though. Daycare homes aren't necessarily that way. There are several websites with helpful suggestions on how to search for child care and what questions you should ask. Do a search for "How to find good child care" and you should find several web sites with good information.

• Pippin

You apply as you would for any other job. If the daycare is advertising for help, you fill out an application or call and tell them you're interested in the job. If not, you can call and ask if they're hiring.

Know that they will probably NOT want you to work in the same room as your child -- as an employee you need to devote your attention to ALL the kids, which is tough to do if your baby is always asking for attention.

Just because you are there with your child, does not mean you would get to spend all the time with her that you would spend at home while earning a check. Chances are, you would wind up NOT working with the age group that includes your daughter. Even if you did, you would have number of other kids you would need to tend to. It's not like you can just play with your daughter all day and get paid for it. You are their to WORK. So if you think about it, unless you desperately need the money, is it really worth it.

• Lizzy

Firstly are you qualified to work in childcare services? If you are then apply to ones advertising jobs and at interview ou can ask about your child being there with you

It may be possible but maybe not due to legal numbers under responsibility but they may also refuse due to waiting lists

If you aren't qualified then you'll need to do the appropriate courses before applying

I would just phone up and say: "have you got any jobs going, or do you require any volunteers?"

I work in a nursery (children's) and sometimes staff will bring in their children if the children are at school and have a half term or inset day. Ask them if they have any toddler groups on.

• K

Sure, do it; you'll get to spend loads of time with your tot. http://daycaresdontcare.org/math.htm