What are athames (pagan knives) used for?

I was just looking for a new tarot deck on a good website and I came across a knife called a athame... what are these used for. Is it to get blood out of your arm or something else?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

*Most* Wicca never use it to cut. It is used to direct energy, to challenge, to perform certain rituals and perhaps to "scoop" certain things. My own coven uses it to cut the measure, but that is the only physical thing we cut with it.

ETA: There is one other physical thing that we might cut worth an athame, or more likely, a ritual sword: handfasting cake! YUM!

On the *rare* occasion when we do need a drop of blood for something, we use sterile lancets.

• Emz
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

It is used as a wand, to direct energy through focus and 'pointing'. Some people prefer to use an athame rather than a wand, some both. As a ritual tool it will be blessed and used only for 'magical' purposes. For example, I sometimes use mine to scribe words or symbols onto candles. It would not be used to cut a sandwich (unless you were using a sandwich in your working lol). It also represents the Male aspect, as most Pagans believe in both the Lady and Lord. A cup or chalice could represent the female, a wand or athame would be male, figures!

• 8 years ago

In the huge majority of pagan paths, athames should never draw blood, even by accident. In many paths, it should never physically cut anything.

They are used to direct energy in rituals, or to represent the male aspect of the divine.

• 8 years ago

The Athame is NOT used to cut anything physical, this includes people, plants or things. It is ONLY used to direct energy. It is used in a symbolic sense, not physical.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

An athame is used like a wand. It's not used to cut anything (accept maybe herbs). I've heard them being used for casting/banishing a circle, invoking/banishing pentagrams, and things like that. They also represent fire depending on who uses them. So, basically they're representational and used for visual purposes.

Source(s): Wiccan
  • 8 years ago

No, Athames are not used to draw blood. They are used in circle casting, and in various other rites.

Source(s): Eclectic Pagan
  • Its mostly used for pointing during rituals. Its not used for any bodily harm of anything.

Although there actually are a few people who use blood but its usually just the weird ones into the occult.

• Pete
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

pagan dinners with the pagan forks!

• Hob
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Cutting pagan sausages.

• 8 years ago

rituals

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.