KiminFL asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

A question to the pro-choice people...?

Are you ok with partial birth abortion? Why or why not?

Just curious.

Favorite Answer

Yes, I support the right to "partial-birth abortion", otherwise known as "intact dilation and extraction".

This procedure, rather than others, is chosen specifically because it results in an intact baby (rather than pieces of tissue). This allows the parents to be able to hold, name, grieve over, baptize, and/or hold memorial services for their child. Nobody- and I repeat this- nobody is getting an intact dilation and extraction for trivial reasons. These are pregnancies that are wanted but doomed, either due to severe fetal anomaly or, less likely, a threat to the life or health of the mother. The Supreme Court allows this procedure to be done provided the fetus is dead before it is delivered (Gonzales v. Carhart, 2007), so the doctor will, at some point before delivery, deliver an injection to induce fetal demise.

Prior to the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act, this procedure constituted .17% of all abortions performed in 2000.

The idea that intact dilation and extraction is common or seen as anything but a compassionate act for a real tragedy, is ridiculous anti-abortion propaganda.

Hope that helps!

• parlor

Pro alternative. I do not precisely approve abortion as an ethical alternative, however I feel that if a lady wishes to get an abortion, she must have each and every proper to. I could not ever get one myself until there used to be an predicament that could be dangerous to me and/or the youngster (Such as ectopic being pregnant) or if I had been ever raped (God forbid). I additionally feel that it doesn't matter what the regulation says, individuals are continually going to desire abortions. I could a lot alternatively have the ones individuals get their abortions played in a blank enviroment by way of a medical professional who is aware of what the hell they are doing than in a few again alley with a coat hanger.

A partial birth abortion is a misnomer, leading people to believe a viable fetus is being aborted. This couldn't be further from the truth.

Thank you, Gwennie, for the sane and factual input.

I don't agree with the practice, but a female that does not want a child, will abort with or without a legal medical procedure in place.

Making it illegal does not get rid of the motive for the abortion, it just makes it more difficult to conduct the procedure safely.

There's no such thing as "partial birth abortion". I oppose all late term abortions unless the life of the mother is in jeopardy. http://www.rawstory.com/exclusives/avery/partial_b...

• Tania

there's no reason for an abortion to be done on a viable fetus. unless the mother would die and her life outweighs it.

No, if the choice has to be made it can be made in the first trimester.

-excluding life threatening births of course.

@objective thinker. using that same logic, shouldn't women be allowed to smother their kids whenever they want? After all, if a mother doesn't want her 2 year old, the kid's chance of becoming a productive member of society "drop significantly"

Yes.

If the mother doesn't want the kid before birth, then the kid's chances of being a product member of society drop significantly.

Abortion being legal lowers crime. That's a good thing for everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl4b46f0Yq8

Youtube thumbnail

I think at any stage of the pregnancy a woman who doesnt want the baby should be able to get rid of it.