How long should I keep saran wrap on my tattoo?

I just got a tattoo earlier today and when it was done the artist put A&D ointment on it and then covered it in saran wrap. He told me to keep it on for at least 8 hours.

I was reading online that saran wrap is bad for tattoos, but I've already had it on for 6 hours. So I'm not sure if I should take it off, or just leave it for the 2 hours.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Take it off, like others recommended, clean it with a mild soap and reapply A&D in a thin layer, like you would with normal lotion. If you keep using A&D, only use it for 3-4 days, then switch to a light, scent free and dye free lotion like lubriderm for the rest of the healing process. You can leave it uncovered to sleep, covering it can leave the tattoo open to you sweating in that spot, or trapping bacteria in there (ointment doesn't last forever) and you will not hurt the tattoo if you sleep on it. Even if you see ink 'leaking' out, its normal.

My artist wraps my work with saran wrap, but they recommend no more than 4 hours to avoid sweating and causing spots that could need a touch up later.

Anyways, I'm hoping your artist gave you aftercare instructions as well, theirs makes sense first, but don't keep it covered if you don't have to.

• 8 years ago

The tattoo needs to breathe,and saran wrap is usually used as just a barrier film more than anythin in the tattoo world.I usually use a meat pad like under hamburger and what not as it wicks away any fluids and also aloows for the area to breathe and heal properly.The only time I use sran wrap is on multi session tattoos where the client will come back the next day as it builds up plasma but does not heal which lets it hurt alot less and heal better with time....your artist is stupid and does not know what he is doing only what he was probably taught...take it off and clean it throughly with anti bacterial soap and warm water put a small film of ointment on and do this three times a day for three to five days at this time the tattoo should be healed completely if done correctly at this time use no scented lotion to keep it fresg til the skin flakes off like sunburn then your good with a new fresh tattoo

• Wendy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Like every one else is saying to protect it. I'm against saran wrap though as it doesn't allow the area to breath. If I have the choice I go with the gauze every time. Plus the gauze soaks up the extra blood that seeps out after the tattoo was done. Saran Wrap will make you sweat a hell of a lot faster then gauze will since it doesn't allow the area to breath. The swelling is completely normal and kind of depends on how her body first reacts. When I got my wrists done the first time they swelled quite a bit. When they were touched up i didn't have much swelling at all except right where the needle had been. Saran wrap does make it easy to show off though while still protected.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

You should remove it. Saran wrap can be damaging to a tattoo. It creates an occlusive dressing which means that no oxygen can get through which raises the temperature in that area which in turn creates a pretty spot for bacteria to flourish. Maybe your tattoo artist should know better? Well good luck.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • I keep the saran wrap on my tattoo the first two days..of course you should get new pieces and put up there and ointment..do not let it dry out or it may night look as mice as you would like.

Source(s): Personal Experience
  • 3 years ago

Bandage For Tattoo

• 8 years ago

When I got my tattoo I had a gauze bandage on for 3 hours along with some a&d tattoos need to breathe, so I personally would take it off.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

using saran wrap on top of ointment is called an occlusive dressing. It is used by dermatologist to treat severe skin conditions. Why this "artist" (tattoo predator) would put an occlusive dressing over a fresh tattoo wound is beyond my understanding. Sounds like the "artist" doesn't know too much about medicine, which is not surprising to be honest. I would drop this particular "artist" permanently if I were you.

Tattoos = REGRET

• 8 years ago

take off

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.