? asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 8 years ago

Mid-size crossovers or suvs with awd for winter driving?

I live in north central pa where we can have bad winters with snow, ice, etc

What are just a few of the safest awd midsized crossovers /SUV to handle the snow, and ice?

Thanks in advance :)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

20 winter crossovers and suvs for snow and ice conditions.

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/suvs-crossovers-for-w...

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

There are a lot of good choices. A few years ago, we leased a Hyundai Veracuz which will seat 7 people. I got the SE trim level with the 18" tires and it did a great job handling the big Colorado snow storms. We also felt very safe in our Subaru Legacy sedan. I would hesitate to look into a Subaru Outback if it's large enough for you. For 7 passengers, you could even get a Toyota RAV4 with the extra 3rd row option. Mazda CX7 and CX9 are also good choices. I guess the important question is whether or not you need seating for more than 5 passengers. If this is the case, you'll need to look into SUV's with 3rd Row Seating.

• 8 years ago

Hello Dukefan,

Based on your description, I looked into the Chevrolet Traverse (given a Top Safety Pick award for the 2011 model year and received a 5 Star Overall Safety rating), Buick Enclave (also a Top Safety Pick and recipient of a 5 Star Overall Safety rating), and the GMC Acadia.

All of these are equipped standard with Stabilitrak, which kicks in when the vehicle isn’t adequately responding to steering input. This system applies brake pressure to any individual wheel and can adjust engine speed to help keep the vehicle on course. Additionally, they are all available in AWD.

Hope this helps,

Sarah

GM Customer Assistance

• 8 years ago

Hi dukefan4life71,

Have you experienced the all-terrain drivability of the 2012 Ford Explorer, Edge, and Escape? Check out the full list of capabilities for the Explorer and its available Terrain Management System at: http://www.Ford.com/SUVs/Explorer/features/#page=F... .

There’s a reason why the Explorer received the award for International SUV of the Year and continues to be the SUV of choice for everyone’s Go Do Adventures! :)

Jamie

Ford Customer Service Division

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Although some vehicles perform better in bad conditions than others, the most important part of a trip is the driver. Get the vehicle that best suits your needs year round, and adjust your habits to the conditions after that. Otherwise, a vehicle that you love for 3 months is a dog for the other 9.

• 3 years ago

Toyota would be....i'm not sure with regard to the enormous 3...or 2 .... or whoever's left. Clinton's CAFE standards have been an common attempt to handcuff jap automakers and supply the enormous 3 time to capture up. as quickly because it grew to grow to be sparkling that kinfolk automakers ought to no longer meet the "mandates" they have been quietly comfortable by using the administration. maximum folk do no longer comprehend that it takes billions of greenbacks to get a sparkling automobile from drafting board to broking's lot. Toyota has the money, the enormous 3 have too lots money tied up someplace else and neither shareholders nor unions have been keen to make any alterations until eventually the two found out too previous due that financial ruin became the subsequent option. Many will ask "So what's incorrect with attempting to make greener automobiles at the same time as help kinfolk automakers?" How approximately this certainty: by way of fact they complied to the guidelines, Toyotas and Hondas climbed dramatically in value, and went from much less costly "everyman" automobiles druing the 70s and 80s to the better-priced "you need to pay extra to get extra" automobiles that they are right this moment. in short, purchasers lose out by way of fact high quality automakers ought to fulfill government demands, somewhat than industry demands.

• 8 years ago

I'm familiar with the roads in your area. If all you want to carry is 5 people plus baggage, a Subaru station wagon would be perfect, provided there's a place that services it convenient to you. If you need something bigger, then you can consider the recommended GM vehicles or the equivalent Ford products. Stability control improves the driving dynamics of SUVs, which are top-heavy and inherently dangerous to drive. Subaru isn't top-heavy and is a safe car to drive in all conditions.

• 5 years ago

extremely tough factor. do a search over yahoo. that will will help!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.