Have you ever been discriminated at work because of you gender?

please state your gender and the gender of the person who discriminated against you

=)

please : I don't want a yes and no answer please expalin

Best Answer

I’m a male who worked for women’s athletics at Texas’ flagship University years ago while completing post-graduate work in education. My position was termed an internship, but I’d already served as Sports Information Director for women at another University in completion of a Sports Administration masters degree. I was regarded differently from other assistants for reasons beyond gender distinctions. The greatest challenge came from those above me being female and several, including the AD, were openly gay, seemingly angry lesbian females.

It was said within the Department no more males would be hired, and I learned that the undercurrent of animosity extended to withholding supportive recommendations for employment, in spite of materials I’d written earning national awards. My work there included leadership roles for three NCAA Championship events, writing releases and wire service reports for assigned teams, and coordinating media coverage for specific events. A vote of confidence from superiors seemed to have been given mid-year when the NCAA Indoor National Swim Championships were turned over to me to direct for the Department just days before the event. I also assisted with regional and Final Four coverage of the NCAA Women's Basketball Championships, which the Lady Longhorns won in our own Erwin Center with an historic undefeated season. The NCAA Women's Tennis Championships were handed over to me far in advance, where I held a role similar to that of a Project Manager assigned leadership for events on Donald Trump's Apprentice.

One afternoon, in a room across from the Sports Information Office in Belmont Hall, I became engaged in discussion with a stranger during April, just weeks before the NCAA Tennis Championships. The aggressive, hostile sounding woman turned out to be the Director's long-time partner. She had no role with the Department and no right to be in our computer room, but she spewed opinions few would support, spoke and handled herself as if she owned the place. I didn't realize what other staff members may have known, that this aggressive, offensive woman was the Director's live-in lover.

We disagreed about teaching and student teaching, which she held an entry-level role for within the Department of Education as a graduate assistant working toward a PhD. Since my post-graduate studies were specific to completing requirements for teaching credentials in Texas, she became angered over my suggestion that four years of classroom teaching experience in private secondary schools, along with two years of post-secondary teaching ‒ one of which was an assistantship like hers ‒ should exempt me from the normal student teaching requirement. That seemed like a waste of time and money for an extra semester as a student, and was something that had already been addressed with an advisor, as well as the Dean of the College of Education, who agreed with me. But the Director's lover was furious!

Indignant, she demanded “Who the h*ll do you think you are?” Since I'd coached a top 10 women's collegiate tennis team and worked with highly ranked high school players, as well as aspiring professional players with Harry Hopman's Tennis Academy in Florida, I was probably more immune to her insults than she thought I should be. The NCAA Tennis Championships came into discussion, as a result, and I shared what I’d done and the role I was assigned for managing the tournament draw, draw boards and court assignments for the Championships. I’d already written and designed the ticket sales brochure and marketing materials for the event, made appearances at special events to boost interest, written tennis releases and major portions of the program for the Championships, and coordinated media requests for information and inclusion at the event. I’d also been assigned to run the tournament desk and direct match assignments for the most visible task I would manage. My role had been that of organizer and leader for virtually every phase of the Tennis Championships.

Of course, hearing a measure of my contribution and recognizing what I referred to softly in terms of who normally executed those tasks in other TTA sanctioned tournaments infuriated the stranger. While I laid no claim to being Director for the Tournament and understood that that role would be assigned to someone else, I was secure in what my assignment was and how it would be regarded by others outside of the anti-male leadership within women’s athletics.

My role was dramatically altered just 2-3 weeks before the event to take away the most visible leadership role I was set to handle; coordinating the tournament desk and running the tournament. That was my punishment. I was separated from the final stage of an event that was largely mine, like a project manager pulled from an Apprentice task just hours ahead of the event. Places my name had been listed and reference to my role with Women's Athletics were altered on materials I’d written...

Source(s): and cut from a handsome program built upon materials I solicited regarding players anticipated to be amongst participants in the field. Interestingly, my written material during the season and contribution to the program gained national recognition from the United States Tennis Writers' Association and the Intercollegiate Tennis Coaches Association. Words I’d written for the Longhorn tennis program earned recognition as an Outstanding Feature Article On Collegiate Tennis, which included an honorarium sufficient to pay for summer classes. Of course, never would there be supportive words available in recommendation form as a result of an angry female(s) whose position amongst lesbian leaders in the Department meant normal human decency wasn’t supposed to apply to me. Liberal progressives' prized AA and EEO policies were on full display in an athletic department where quality of work, a masters degree and experience in the field meant nothing. Simply put, gender meant everything.
  • Linda

We are all guilty of using sterotypes, it's been shown that we always use them when meeting people for the first time. It's a handy device in many senses - it tells us how to act and what to expect. Stereotypes are not fixed and can change, although it depends whether the individual has more flexible perceptions. We all have stereotypes but it doesn't mean we will discriminate. We tend to group with similar people because, in reality, we have more in common with them. If religion is important in your life it;s likely you aren't going to have many alternative-religion friends because they'll hold contradictory views. But then, is this discrimination? I'd say not. Discrimination occurs due to race, colour, age, gender . . . on that basis alone. But to not get to know someone or create a friendship based on the fact cultural values are totally different is not discrimination. I spose what I'm saying is it depends on the individual motivation. If I were to choose the caucasion girl over the hispanic (not that I think I would in this case) it would be for ease of communication, not because I don't like hispanics. But yes, for multiculturalsim to succeed everyone needs to stop being phobic about discrimination. If you genuinely aren't sexist, racist etc but you would rather speak to someone who has a better grasp of enligsh, that's acceptable. For example, I have a indian-carrbean friend who worked with an afro caribean nurse. This nurse was generally unpleasant and not very good at her job. Howeer, no one could criticise her and if they did she'd jump on the race-hate band wagon. It was only when my friend (from similar racial background) said something that her attitude changed (actually I think she quit but still, you see my point). . .

I've been told I wouldn't get a job because I'm a male before, oddly enough, by a male boss.

I don't know if I'd go quite as far as to call this discrimination, but when I worked at a grocery store and storms were coming it was usually us guys that had to go out and get the carts back in the store. If someone was going to get struck by lightning it was going to be a man, and yes, one time lightning did strike the opposite end of the building while we were out there so it came pretty close. The store manager was male but my immediate supervisor, and the supervisor over most of us, was female.

Yes, I have. Most of the time, they are men. Sometimes, they are women.

I am a woman.

:)

Edit: Ok, here's one example. One of my former jobs is a lab assistant at a marine laboratory. It was a male-dominated environment (even though my school is 2/3 female). Anyways, my boss would NEVER let me (or other women, but I was the only woman who wanted to help) deal with anything construction-related. However, I was more qualified to assist in helping than my male student-co-workers because I worked in a carpentry shop for four years. I know my way around stationary and hand-held power tools. I built my own loftbed, desk, and chair in high school. My family was always asking me to fix things around the house, including my own father. However, my boss didn't really care about knowing any of this; he would still have my male co-workers (who didn't have any carpentry experience beyond putting together an Ikea coffee table) work on construction items. Of course, these men would often make mistakes. One time, I finally had it and walked in to the construction, looked my boss in the eye while I picked up a drill gun and level, and started going to town on the pile of PVC and wood in front of us. He never stopped me again. I felt so GOOD!

• Jack

At work, no...but I did try applying for jobs only to be told that because I didn't meet the criteria of employment equity (ie. I wasn't a woman, disabled, a visible minority or an aboriginal person), my application could not be accepted.

Ironically enough, after that I also tried to encourage a young woman to consider applying for a management position in our company because I knew she was a good worker, she had the skills and metrics (ie. her work results were excellent) to do well in the job, and because at that level, although we'd never told women they couldn't apply, they just weren't applying!

Just so you know that I don't accept the idea that women can't or shouldn't have the right to go as far as they can in the workforce!

Yes, claims of gender discrimination everyone knew were false, but nobody wanted to be seen as not taking women seriously.

I've seen many instances where a far more qualified male was not considered due to AA.

- Male

~

I was denied a landscaping job because I was "too pretty". Yes, he said that to my face. Yes, I had experience and referrals form landscaping work. Yes, it was illegal. Yes, I was too young to fight the system.

I also was asked illegal questions such as "What if you met a man and got married, would you have children?"

Yes and it was a male who discriminated against me.

Ive seen it in my work place. I had a really close friend. She was genderqueer.

Meaning if someone is genderqueer they may think of themselves as one or more of the following:

both man and woman

neither man nor woman

moving between genders (genderfluid)

third gender or other-gendered; includes those who do not place a name to their gender;

having an overlap of, or blurred lines between, gender identity and sexual orientation.

A male in the work place discriminated against her. There will be ignorance and bigotry everywhere!

I encourage you to stay positive and dont let things like that affect you!

• angela

Yes, I was passed over for promotion, forced to train some college boy (who later got the job I should have had), and was paid less than the men I worked with (doing the same damn job).

No, I've been denied a job because of my race/where I lived. The perp was a White American female.

Source(s): I'm male, bi-racial.