Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 8 years ago

What is a Registry Scan?

My computer has been going really slow lately, and a friend of mine that is really smart said that I should do a registry scan. I'm not sure what that means though.

How do I do a registry scan, and can it actually help my computer speed?

Favorite Answer

Your friend is completely right! A registry scan can find all the "lose ends" in your computer and get rid of them. This will help speed up other software, because they will not be looking at all of these broken registry strings.

Like someone else said, CCleaner is a good registry cleaner, but I would have to recommend a software called "Registry Easy". It is very fast, and it gets rid of 99% of registry problems.

Just by running this software alone, my computer is easily twice as fast as it was before.

You can get a copy at http://error-1606.com/registry/

Source(s): 4 years IT experience. I'm a computer wiz :]

Your registry is simply a platform that contains all the data and programming needed for everything your computer does. A registry scan is scanning tool that scans your computer for things called errors.

An error is a mistake in your computers programming that makes problems for your computer.It slows your computer, corrupts your files, and your computer acts stupid.

These can be to put it simply wrong computer codes on your disks and misread data. When you delete and install programs, data or anything sometimes files from those old programs remain there like skeletons in the closet. If you see a folder for a program that you deleted or uninstalled you have an error.

To do a registry scan you need to first beware of these programs that give free scans but you have to

pay for the program to get rid the errors. Some registry programs will only half do the job. My best advice is to go to Comodo System Cleaner and no you don't have to use the antivirus software or have to install it for it to work.

Install the Registry Cleaner

The Registry Cleaner will do a scan automatically for the first time taking about a hour or a few minutes. The Comodo System Cleaner will show it's window and tell you how many errors you have in each territory. Click on the territory and go to the most aggressive cleaner.

No. Your computer might be getting slow because of the huge amount of various wanted and unwanted programs loaded onto it. Think for a moment that the computer is a car on which 5 people travel comfortably at a speed of say 50 miles per hour. The car run fast and everything is fine. Now, in the same car if you load 25 people , what happens to the speed of the car ? It will literally crawl if it does move.

So, similarly if you uninstall numerous unused and unwanted programs then you computer will indeed work better and faster. Registry scan is not at all important because there is no such program made by Microsoft, the makers of Windows. You will have to use a third party Registry scan software. With such third party software one can never be sure of what it might do and what other issues it might create. Microsoft itself does not suggest cleaning the registry because there are very good chances that the Windows on your PC will get more messed up if you (or the third party Registry cleaning software) accidentally delete important registry files

Along with the above step, the following will help quite a bit.

You can de-fragment the Drive

You can clean up Internet History.

You can clean up Temporary install files etc

Source(s): Personal Experience. (PC Specialist for 12+ years)

2

Source(s): Antivirus That Works 100% : http://MoveAntiVirus.com/?xfIz

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is a Registry Scan?

Source(s): registry scan: https://shortly.im/uNb5P

Your computer is probably cramped full of old pictures, videos, old/unwanted documents, and most important, old programs that you don't use or want anymore. It's probably slow because every time you start up the computer, it loads all of those unused programs that you don't use anymore. I would suggest going into your control panel and uninstalling programs that you don't use anymore.

*Don't uninstall anything that you don't know what it is!*

I would also recommend downloading MalwareBytes. It's the best (I think) anti-malware program available. It will scan your entire computer and get rid of any malware programs that are on your computer. It's free, but you can use the trial version of the "Pro" version of it for 20 days. You'll be able to activate that once you start-up the program for the first time.

That should find a bunch of stuff that you don't need. Make sure that you quarantine everything it find. (Should be a check by everything it found and make sure all of it is checked)!

Good luck!

• Josh

It scans the registry for errors

You can do a registry scan by downloading a program called ccleaner & which is free

Yes it can speed up your pc

Basically, the registry is where all vital information for applications and files is gathered. Usually, the registry is quite organized, allowing the computer to acquire any information it needs quickly and without hassle. Although, when the registry starts becoming overloaded with information, which is caused by constant user activity, errors are going to accumulate, period. The more errors the registry has, the more your PC will suffer.

I use ashampoo winoptimizer, its totally free for ever, no registration or trial period. It does your registry, has a lot better defrag than windows, a good drive cleaner, internet cleaner, anti spyware, file wiper. it has everything. But if you comp is running that slow I'd prob save your pics and music and format it and do a complete fresh install

Download and run Ccleaner it's a great program. Click download latest version.

Yes, it can. I wrote an article with detailed information and instructions:

"Cleanup on Drive C, Track 56"

http://favesoft.blogspot.com/2009/05/cleanup-on-dr...

This should help... and with a backup, it can't hurt.

~~ ScienceMikey