how to replace door frame from termite damage?

evidently there are termites at the top of the door frame. i found out when i tried to open the front door and the top plate ( i think that's what its called) fell off.

can someone give step by step instructions on how to repair/replace this problem, or direct me to a DIY site that can help.

unfortunately i cannot afford a contractor to fix it, luckily i will have help to do this.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Ken's advice is great, Ranger's is close but inaccurate. If the termites are drywoods (generally if pellets fall from the timber), then you might just follow Ken's methods BUT if you are not sure and there is a chance that they might be subterraneans, then you should get a professional timber pest inspection first. With subterraneans, control is often much faster and cheaper if they are not disturbed. Actually, you'd be wise to get an inspection now, just in case there are other issues. It isn't worth the risk of doing your own inspections. There's too much at stake and it really is skilled work.

Source(s): Termite info: http://drdons.net/pest
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

you are very fortunate.. you have some excelnt answers here!! the way i read your 'question', you 'dont' have an active termite problem, you have a termite 'result' problem, that is scaring you, rite? exterminators will tell you how long there extermination lasts... just call who ever did it last time and ask them for there products warrantee or guarantee, and what they did to your house when they were there... dont pannic... dont get yur pantys in a bunch over something that may be next to nothing. if some 'repair' work shows up, or some thing needs 'attention', or something becomes 'problematical', you are in the same boat as any home owner any where else would be... this is where you ether learn to take care of your own stuff, or hire people to do it for you, or find out who your friends actually are, or just go jonesing along and let it all fall apart around you. houses come with maintance / repair / upkeep / improvement factors imposible to predict or antisipate sometimes.... this is where ya seperate the wheat from the chafe.. with things like this. unfortunatly, the only 100% way to discover all posible damage from termites is to gut the house and inspect EVERYTHING... thats not an exterminators job. They do what they can to prevent further damage, and once in a while they will do minor repairs ... but .. if they were to have to give home owners a remodeled building with an 'extermination' bid, there wouldnt BE ANY exterminators... ANY WHERE. ..it will be to your advantage to explore the maintenace and repair options of owning a home... some things you can handel your self, some you just cant. That's part of being an owner. be brave Mishi.... use your logic... calm down... consider options... look at the bigger picture... take your time... and make a plan.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): How to Work Wood http://givitry.info/WoodworkingProjects
  • seelye
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Replace Door Frame

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ranger
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

You need to treat for the termite first. If you don't, they will eat your repairs within a couple of years.

Termites live in the ground and eat their way up the walls. If you have damage on the top plate, I guarantee you have damage to wall studs and the Header over the door. They will all have to be replaced.

If the roof rafters are resting on the wall the door is in, you will need to built a support under the ceiling joist and the rafter ends outside before you remove the wall. If you don't support the ceiling and rafters, they will fall down when you remove the header over the door.

Go to the local public library and check out a home repair book to show you step by step with diagrams on how to build a new door header, support studs and build a new door casing.

• 8 years ago

The best thing for you to do is to completely remove the entire door and frame assembly to check for more damage,if you have had termites i guarantee that there is more damage.I would highly recommend that you look a little deeper into it to make sure you don't have header or more serious structural damage.

But to just change out the header part of your frame;

1 Start by removing the inside OR outside molding around the door and any of the remaining pieces of the wood,including any nails left.You Need to start with a completely clean area

2 How bad of shape is the old top in?Can you use it as a template to make the new one?

if you can,there should be 2 parts to it,the main part and the door stop(the part that the door

touches when the door is closed)

3 measure the length and width of the main portion (ignore the doorstop for now) get a piece of pine from your local hardware store as close to those measurements as you can but go over if you cant get close.Also pick up some shims,silicone and expanding foam and a piece of door stop as well(they should have it in stock at most places-at least as long as the main portion - you might have to buy in min of 4 ' but probably 8' still shouldn't cost much)

4 Cut the main part to the same as old one.Put some wood glue on the ends and slide the piece into the old opening you cleaned out.Put some shims on the top of it between the main header and it to make it snug against the tops of the vertical parts of the frame and then nail it firmly in place

5 If the old piece was too damaged you will have to measure the opening and measure the width of the door.Cut to fit and do the rest of step 4

6 Measure between the sides of the doors existing doorstops and THEN cut and nail on new top door stop

7 Seal up with spray foam and re-install frame moldings then silicone around the frame.

• smiles
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Try googling DIY and find what works best for you. Otherwise, I would get rid of the termites first before you begin to do any repairs. This means you need to look at every corners, flooring, etc of where termites like to bury themselves at and fix it. I mean you need to check out your home from top to bottom before you do any more repairs. Your house will fall if you do not get rid of the termites.

Source(s): doityourself.com
  • 4 years ago

Here are literally thousands of organized woodworking projects in a members area and all you have to do is get them off your computer any time you want. Go here https://tr.im/QdtQr

There are thousands of plans so decide which one you are going to tackle next. The choice is yours to make so just click on the proper button for the specific project and then they are right there for you to pick one. The diagrams and instructions will be right there in the computer for you to access at any time or if you prefer you can print them out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.