What weather reporting resources would you use to plan a VFR flight up the California Coast?

It is an essay question for my class... I think I have most of it down but wanted to ask the Pilots on Y-Answers.

Thanks!

• Jeremy
    Favorite Answer

I browse aviationweater.gov usually. Take a look at a prog chart. See what the basic weather will be. Cloudy rainy sunny? I also check the isobars on the prog charts. If they are close the wind is usually strong.

Next id move onto more narrow weather areas. Check METARS and TAFs for the airports around your route of flight. Maybe even glance at the area forecast for another big picture of the weather.

This is about all you need for a VFR flight. But for IFR or if the weather is crap check the cielings, and also pireps. If your in the clouds start pondering the possibility of icings and check pireps for cloud tops and any occuring icing. If you are IFR ask yourself if you can make the approach at your airfield. If not check alternate airfields weather. I usually give airmets a glance at, although the info is so basic you should already know it before hand. Never hurts to looks.

I make a go no go descision mostly before calling flight serive for an 'official' briefing. Always get the official standard briefing from them. It covers your *** because you can look at the weather all day long but if something happens you cant prove it. When calling file a flight plan if you want.

Anyways basically i start big and work my way down to the details. I decide fiirst if its going to be sunny or cloudy or whatever. And i end with 'what runway can I land on with the winds if i make it to the airport an hour or so late and the weather isnt obeying the forcast.'

In addition to above: web cams. So many things these can tell you that a briefer or prog chart can't.