Nat
Nat asked in Science & MathematicsAgriculture · 8 years ago

Why is dairy farming so bad?

I recently got a job at a dairy farm in Alberta, Canada. It's family owned but it's quite large and supplies nonorganic milk for Dairyland. I milk cows, feed calves, and fork hay, and have never found the cows to be treated poorly or anything. But everyone is talking about how it's inhumane so i looked up the code of practice for dairy farming and everything that has to go on seems all humane to me. The biggest argument people seem to make is that the calves are taken away from their mothers, and this doesn't really bother me because they always have to have other calves with them so it's not like they're alone... I don't know i guess I'd just like to hear everyone's opinions about this

• ERIC
    Favorite Answer

There's always a few bad apples out there, who make a bad name for others, and no group is excluded. Also figure that people tend to remember the negative a lot more clearly than the positive (why do you think most news is portrayed in a negative spotlight). Then figure in how removed most people are from agriculture anymore. All of this combines to where the few yahoos who do mistreat their animals create a bad image for the 99+% of us who treat our animals well. They either see an animal abuse story on the news and that's their closest contact to a farm, or they don't realize that taking the calf away is the best management practice, and think it's the most awful thing ever. Which would be the case if they were people, but many people seem to have lost the distinction between animals and people nowadays also, which is a different story for a different time.

Remember every common practice on a dairy farm, or any livestock for that matter is either backed up by science, or in some cases legal reasons. Some people seem to not realize that the cattle are our livelihoods, and we can't do well unless they do well. An abused, mistreated, or scared cow will not be productive, and not pay the bills.

Source(s): Milk about 300 cows

It's not bad. That's simply animal rights people being unwilling to live and let live. You either believe their way or they see you as the enemy. Most have never worked on a real farmer either like you have.

There are some people who do mistreat them and that's kind of stigmatized all of dairy farming, undeservedly of course.

i think a proper maintaining dairy farm not bad...but need to understand well known about how to handle the farming process...becasue my husband had an organic diary farm......:)