Should i longboard or skateboard?

howdy! so i see alot of people riding a longboard and skateboard around and it just looks like itd be alot of fun so im interested in buying one and trying it out. ive ridden a skateboard maybe once or twice in my life but other than that i have no experience. im not looking to do any tricks or anything but just... show more howdy! so i see alot of people riding a longboard and skateboard around and it just looks like itd be alot of fun so im interested in buying one and trying it out. ive ridden a skateboard maybe once or twice in my life but other than that i have no experience. im not looking to do any tricks or anything but just want to ride it around and i dont really know the difference between the two besides how they look. so what do you guys suggest i buy? and im looking to spend $40-$100 because i dont really dont want to spend too much if i end up not liking it. thanks guys.
Update: oh and on average how long do you think it would take to become decent at boarding? just out of curiosity
3 answers