Breaking Bad Question: Why does Gus want to kill Walt?

I have been on a long hiatus from the show, and am just starting to get back into it again. I am watching season 4 now, and I can't recall from the previous seasons why Gus wants to kill Walt. Can someone refresh my memory? Thanks.

• Jessie
    Favorite Answer

By the beginning of Season 4, Gus knew that Walt had killed two of his dealers and gotten Jessie to kill Gale (the meth cook that Gus was going to use to replace Walt).

Gus had a bad feeling about Walt from the beginning, as Walt is too impulsive and reactive. Gus was also very unhappy that Jessie came along as part of the package, as Jessie was a junkie and showed up to the first meeting high as a kite.

Gus always saw Walt as a potential liability, but was willing to use him until Gale could learn to cook Walt's formula. Walt got wise to Gus's plan and killed Gale (by convincing Jessie to do it at the last second).

Source(s): mb

Walt killed 2 of his dealers, he got Jesse to kill Gale, and in the first episode of season 4, we saw how Walt confronted Gus, disrespected him, and talked too much while Jesse was quiet. Gus realized that the problem wasn't Jesse, it was Walt, and then later on he accused Gus of killing the 11 year old boy, and then accused him again of killing the 2 guys whom the dude from the cartel shot. Walt did not know his place and doomed himself; the only reason he managed to get Gus was because Jesse stopped Gus from killing Walt.

• Ben

Walt disrespected Gus and didn't stay in his place.

He killed the 2 dealers, but he also accused Gus of killing the boy, which upset Gus.

Overall, Gus has seen Walt as a bit of an unpredictable force since the first time they met.

Walt killed two of Gus' dealers after Gus ordered them to kill a 11 year old boy.

[SPOILER ALERT] Walt wanted to kill Gus because Gus was too powerful and could easily take him out (as shown in the end of the season) Walt was too important to Gus for his formula, no one else knew how to create it as well as Walt

It doesn't make sense that Gus would want to save himself by killing Walter. That would have only made Hank's pursuit of Walter's killer personal. Unless he meant to kill them both- but then the DEA would've been on the case with a vengeance. It seems like a plot flaw.

• cichon

Why Did Jesse Kill Gale

• Jim G

I think it is 2 things -- he can get Jessie to cook for less, with no dropoff in quality. But I really think Gus fears Walt's connection to Hank and the DEA will lead to his arrest.

so glad that I found this question already answered! It is like you've read my thoughts!