casey
casey asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

Question about cooking and saving bacon grease?

Back in the old days, when people would save their grease from bacon, ham and sausage in a container they kept on the back of the stove for use later on for cooking and making gravy, did they also add their beef fat too it? Or did they just save the pork fat? My mom and grandmothers all had the grease container but I can't remember if they drained their hamburger fat into it as well.

Favorite Answer

It was almost exclusively bacon / pork fat... beef wasn't as popular / available for the average citizen until the LATE 19th century. My Mom and Grandmothers kept it on the back of the stove also... a empty string-bean can. I built a special can for my bacon grease... it has a screw lid on both ends... so I can pour in fresh grease at one end... and take out the older grease when I'm cooking.

And of course since we RAISE pigs... I render all the fat down to lard !!

I DO take issue with those who suggest beef fat has no flavor !! Yorkshire Pudding gets almost ALL it's flavor from good rendered beef fat !! McDonald's french fries used to taste SO good because they fried them in beef tallow !!

: Save Your Bacon Fat.This is one practice we think all of our grandmothers probably did that's fallen by the wayside in our generation. But saving the grease left from cooking a batch of bacon isn't just frugal, it's a great way to add flavor to future dishes—and it makes cleaning the pan easier...

Rather than pouring the hot grease into a container, which can be tricky (and painful, if you splatter), we let our pan sit on the stovetop for a while, until the grease solidifies into a pale, cloudy layer of fat.

Then we use a spatula to scrape it out, which we think leaves the pan cleaner than if we'd poured off the liquid. It also allows us to pick up miniscule bits of bacon, which we like. If you don't want any residue, you can pour off the fat while it's hot and leave the remnants in the bottom of the pan.

How can you use leftover bacon fat? The list could go on and on, but a few ideas:

• In place of butter when scrambling eggs or frying potatoes.

• Adding pork flavor to caramelized onions (using it in place of oil or butter).

• As the base for sautéeing vegetables that will go into a frittata.

• Rubbed on chicken breasts before roasting.

• Spread on a pizza crust before you add the toppings.

See a theme? Essentially, use a spoonful of bacon fat anywhere you'd use a pat of butter or a glug of olive oil.

Source(s): LA
  • Steven

Bacon grease is called gold by many. More prized than butter. I have a special tin for capturing it and store it in the Fridge. I use it instead of meat or to enhance foods of all kinds. I even put a bit in my (much loved) brownies. I use it in soup. I don't over do it because of the fat and cholesterol but it is GOLD. I use it to season cast Iron cookware.

When you want a special rare treat. If you really want to freak someone make Pig butter. Rendered bacon or pork fat with bacon bits in it. Use it for a sandwich spread. Spread it thin. I only make small slider size sandwiches with it and warn all about the pork in case someone is Jewish.

Like all things it is to be used in moderation.

Pork grease is mostly kept, but I have to tell you, in my family for the best grease to use to cook with we only save the bacon grease and we make sure no meat specks get into it. We strain it through a sieve, and keep this in the fridge. We refer to it as bacon butter. It takes on the consistency of butter and has the same fatty chains as olive oil. It is just as healthy as olive oil but it taste wonderful in greens and beans as a seasoning.

Source(s): http://www.westonaprice.org/press/press-release-20... and real life lived well.
  • penny

Don't add beef fat to bacon grease, it will change the taste of the bacon grease and beef fat doesn't keep as well.

Just pork drippings/grease the beef tends to go rancid

Source(s): My grandma and mama did the same thing. Be sure u keep it covered

I would just save the pork fat. Beef fat is pretty flavorless and won't do any of your future meals much justice, especially if you are using it as a pan grease.

Just save the pork fat. Beef fat is pretty disgusting there no flavor to it....just saying. But you can if you want to.

• F D

no just the pork grease

generally its just bacon grease

the reason is all the salt and smoke keeps it safe and usable

normal beef fat isn't preserved, so it will go rancid.