Iris asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

I bought the Innova Cat and Kitten dry food, is it okay? Any thoughts? The top 5 ingredients look fine to me.?

I only heard about the Proctor & Gamble company acquiring Natura today. Now I am concerned as well since many people are apprehensive about the quality of the cat food and say the quality has changed since Natura was acquired.

tmclone: I was thinking of letting my cat eat 1/2 cup of dry food everyday and giving canned food as a treat. So you feed canned food everyday and dry food as a treat? What canned food do you recommend?

Thanks, I'll be doing that. I have 4 canned wet food as of now, but I'll be stopping by the pet store very soon.

Favorite Answer

As long as there is no grain in the dry food and NONE of the ingredients are "by products", "meal"or "corn", you should be ok. Personally, for dry food I prefer "Dave's" dry. It's inexpensive, grain-free, and the cats like it! I never feed it as a "meal", but we feed a few pieces to each cat as an occasional treat!

Doesn't matter what brand you feed as long as it's grain-free and AT LEAST the first three ingredients are some form of "meat" and not by products/meal/grain.

For canned food, other than the homemade "cooked with supplements" we make on our own, we prefer Dave's (non-fish) and Natural Balance and Nature's Variety Instinct.

For grain-free dry, I'm a fan of Dave's (cheap/grain free/cats like it!), Nature's Variety Instinct (really expensive, but they love it), Natural Balance (not insanely expensive and they eat it!).

There are also a ton of other gran-free foods out there, at different prices. Best thing to do is to shop around locally and read labels. Not "sexy or cool", but the best way to see what's available locally (local is always cheaper...)

Source(s): 41 years of being owned by cats and 31 years of fostering kittens
  • J C

yes, tmclone is correct. Dry food should be the treat and canned the main meals. Nature created cats to eat meat, not dry carbohydrate filled kibbles. Even grain free dry foods have carbs in them or they would not stick together. An all-dry diet is now linked to such feline disorders as diabetes, obesity, constipation, urinary tract disorders, and even kidney disease. Canned food more closely mimics what Nature intended cat to eat - raw prey.

Innova is a fine food - yes, P&G took over the parent company, but it's still significantly better than anything you can get in the grocery store - at this point, anyway. I used to feed EVO but switched since the P&G buy out (Natura product also). There are many good canned foods - just read the labels and avoid those with grains, and by-products. Wellness and Blue Buffalo Wilderness are two that I use and are well liked by my cats.

Source(s): many years of cat rescue (and feeding a mostly-canned, premium diet)

I have fed Innova Evo before. Even the regular Innova is probably still one of the better dry foods you can get.

Re the P & G thing, they are saying they aren't going to change the food and so far it seems to be OK.. Of course based on P&G's history with other pet food it's only natural to be skeptical, and some people have pointed out that there are things P & G could do that wouldn't show up on the label, like get ingredients from cheaper lower quality foreign sources.

I really have not kept up with the Innova debate though. think it is probably OK and since you bought it I would go ahead and use it. You'll have it quite a while if you feed it just for treats so keep it in the fridge to help keep it fresher.

(Even when fed for meals a little of that goes a LONG way , at least if it is anything like the Innova EVO,. it is very calorie-dense! )

I agree about canned for meals, use the Innova dry for a treat. As for the reasons why, I just answered that (at great length and with several good links to articles from vets ) on another question http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ao0hz...

Re canned recommendations. One I like that has not been mentioned is Merrick They have 2 lines, the original Merrick ones with goofy names like Cowboy Cookout, Grammy's Pot Pie, Turducken, Surf & Turf etc. It's good quality, the price is not bad for premium canned cat food (similar to Wellness or sometimes a little less) and they tend to be higher protein / lower fat than most of the other premium cat foods, while still being pretty low carb. . Not that fat is bad for cats -- they need more of it than we do -- but these levels especially the Cowboy Cookout are closer to the nutrient balance in a cat's natural diet ( a mouse or rat).

Merrick also has another excellent line called Before Grain. Grain free of course. and I think has a bit less veg. so very low carb.

Several of the varieties in both lines are fish, so I wouldn't feed those every day.

Then I also feed others like Wellness grain free varieties. and Nature's Variety Instinct (which is very good but yes it IS expensive. I get it mostly for my cat with IBD who the vet suggested he be on venison, rabbit or duck wet food. I get him the venison from NV. (they also have rabbit and duck and lamb) You might try a can of rabbit to see if your cats like it as a special meal sometimes.

NV Instinct also has these foods in raw frozen . which i feed as about 1/4 of the diet.

question a million: I switched their nutrients in one day, became into that ok or ought to it have been greater slow? they seem taking properly to it. they do no longer eat as much as they did their previous nutrients, yet I study that cats do no longer ought to eat as a lot high quality nutrients by way of fact it is a lot greater nutrient-dense. question a million answer: hey, your cats are in all probability basically delicate to the recent nutrients. they do no longer likely no what it is and in case you think of approximately it out of your perspective.. properly.... right here; for a whole month you ate a similar nutrients according to say ice cream and the subsequent morning there became into spaghetti on your nutrients bowl. they could seem a similar ( i advise evaluate ice cream to a burger and ice cream to spaghetti Then dry cat nutrients to dry cat nutrients) the spaghetti's contents and tasting are a lot diverse from the ice cream, and of course the ice cream is way less nutritional however the less greater healthy issues regrettably yet actually style greater valuable! supply it it slow there surely isn't any subject with the kittens new ingesting behavior. :) question 2: How adverse is it that I fed them the cheap food market nutrients for a whole month (the 0.33 month of their lives?). Did I make the swap in time? question 2 answer: it is not volatile to the kittens in any respect. in certainty it is basically such as you ingesting rapid nutrients and ice cream for a million month. in case you, for something of their lives feed them the healthy ingredients which you're identifying to purchase at the instant, of course its nice! you may swap a pets nutrients whenever you like. as long as they eat it and it is making a valuable difference it is sturdy for the animal to get a sort of ingredients. somewhat by way of fact no one cat nutrients can cover each and every of the nutritional concepts or maybe desires.even nevertheless do no longer substitute it like quite a few month perhaps each and every 2 months or 3.