rory asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 9 years ago

how to stop worrying about horrific car crashes?

i typed dont drink and drive into youtube and now i have all these horrible thoughts in my head. normal day all going fine and then suddenly in the blink an eye, its all over. i saw the story of Jacqueline Saburido and i just feel so sorry for her :( i HATE HATE HATE HATE The though of this happening to any1 let alone me or my family or someone i know. i currently sit in the top floor of my 2 story house i am fear the a car will come crashing in my window even though i live no were near a fast road. i keep worrying that something awful will happen to me or my family. i am a 15 year old boy and i feel like crying, please help me

Favorite Answer

That feeling will go away. I caused a fender bender when I was 19 years old (1967). I haven't caused one since, and I had a job that required me to drive 400 miles a day, every day.

A couple of tricks are 1) Keep more distance between you and the car in front of you. And2) Look over your shoulder when you make a lane change. There are other tricks that you'll learn, but like everything else, you'll get better as you go along. You know, like video games or baseball or just figuring stuff out. It comes with the territory.

Go ahead and cry. The worst drivers are those who never give it a thought. You will gradually adjust to the potential for horror and will either be able to drive or not. One of my best friends couldn't adjust and does not drive - there is no shame in it.

It took me a few weeks to get over the gory movies in driver ed... one black and white slide is still in my mind but it keeps me in perspective. Safety is in your hands.

i used to have the same thing where i would sit in the drivers seat and worry. best tip i can give you: relax, put on your favorite music, and have fun, but not too much :-)