good books to read for a teen?

im looking for some good books to read, a series would be nice. I'm not into vampires,werewolves,witchcraft,or ghosts. but things like aliens are fine lol. I love when there is tension between characters (like when a girl and guy are meant to be with each other and secretly love each other but have a hard time admitting it) or something like that. as long as there is a romantic interest in it. something that is pretty easy to follow along with but nothing that is for little kids, like 14-17ish age group. anything you recommend?? thanks in advance!!

also my favorite thing is when a guy is protective over a girl...like on the show Bones..(which i am OBSESSED with) booth is sooo protective over brennen and it makes me waaay happier than it should lol (i know i have issues;) )

so having this in a book would be AMAZING:)

Favorite Answer

The Perfect Chemistry trilogy by Simone Elkelez (The books are Perfect Chemistry, Rules of Attraction, and Chain Reaction. They're all about three brothers, the Fuentes, who all happen to fall in love with very unlikely people. They also get caught up in a lot of gang things because of their past. Lots of action and romance for sure! Perfect Chemistry is definitely the best of the three.)

The Summer trilogy by Jenny Hann (The books are The Summer I Turned Pretty, It's Not Summer Without You, and We'll Always Have Summer. The books revolve around Belly Conklin, who gets into a messy love triangle with her oldest friends who also happen to be brothers, Conrad and Jeremiah Fisher. Every year they spend the summer together at the Fisher's lake house, since the Fisher's mom and Belly's mom are best friends, but now that they're older and starting to realize that maybe their relationships aren't purely platonic, tensions start setting in. Great trilogy! It has heartbreak, tragedy, humor, and lots of romance. I couldn't put the books down.)

Delirium by Lauren Oliver (This is a dystopian YA novel that will soon be a trilogy, but only has one book out right now. In a society where love is seen as weakness, Lena is getting ready for her future, which consists of being matched with a partner deemed perfect for her, getting a job set up for her, and going through the operation that will make her unable to love. But what happens when Lena finds out that maybe love isn't such a bad thing? Lots of adventure, that's what happens.)

If I Stay (followed by Where She Went) by Gayle Forman (When Mia is in a terrible accident that leaves her whole family in critical condition and puts her into a coma, she has to choose - is life worth living anymore? Filled with heart-wrenching memories, wonderful friends, and Mia's unlikely but dedicated boyfriend who would do anything to get her back, it's definitely a book you won't forget. The sequel takes place years after the aftermath of the event. Both are great!)

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins (Consisting of The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. You've probably heard of these books, because of the popularity that has grown with it, so I'll just give a very brief description - Katniss has to compete in a fight to the death, but ends up becoming attached to some of the players along the way. Yeah, bad description.)

Bloom by Elizabeth Scott (Lauren seems to have a great life - she keeps good grades, has great friends, and seems to have the most perfect boyfriend that any girl could ever want. But, for some reason, she just can't be happy. But when Evan Kirkland shows up, everything changes. Evan, a figure from Lauren's past, seems like an unlikely match for her, but the more that her boyfriend begins to talk about their life together in the future, the more Lauren finds herself pushed toward Evan. Soon, Lauren realizes that she must make a decision, before the decision is made for her.)

Perfect You by Elizabeth Scott (Kate Brown's life has gone downhill fast. Her father has quit his job to sell vitamins at the mall, and Kate is being forced to work with him. Her best friend has become popular, and now she acts like Kate is invisible. Sometimes, Kate wishes she was invisible. But when the gorgeous, popular, unattainable Will begins acting interested in her, Kate pretends that she can't stand him - even though he soon becomes the highlights of her day, though she refuses to admit it. And when things begin to happen between them, Kate refuses to admit that she's anything but his latest conquest. Kate begins to keep to herself and stop caring about things in an attempt to keep herself from getting hurt, but soon she learns that the only way to be happy is if she lets herself.)

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson (After Lennie's older sister dies, Lennie is sure it's the end of a lot of things. She slowly becomes internalized, only ever letting her feelings out on the poems that she leaves scattered around the city. But when the beautiful, sweet Joe Fontaine shows up and shows interest in her, Lennie can't help but show interest back, even when she finds that the only person who can understand her is her sister's boyfriend... And thus the love triangle begins. It's a lot more heart-felt and achingly beautiful than it sounds. Even when you want to yell at Lennie, you sort of understand why she does the things she does.)

Kissed by an Angel trilogy by Elizabeth Chandler (Kissed by and Angel, The Power of Love, and Soulmates. When Tristan died, Ivy felt like she lost everything. But even though he's gone, Ivy feels his presence everywhere. And when Tristan's murderer goes after Ivy, Tristan's presence may be the only thing that can save her. It's a trilogy but you can generally buy all three books in one.)

Hope this helps!

Hmm(14ish) I really enjoyed the season, which is about a group of girls from 19th century London that make their first appearance in the ton. Then get there noses stuck in a place they shouldn't - a mystery revolving around the Old Blackmoor's murder, and one of the girls falls in love with the young blackmoor himself. Full of Adventure Romance and Sneaking And Spying it is a very good read.

After reading this I am looking for some Jane Austen to read, haven't quite yet, so i cannot compare the two (sorry)

-By Sarah Maclean

Or

(17ish)

Poison Study, later on in the series has a little more adult themes.. But the first should be fine for a 14 year old if i am correct...* Warning Has Magic

But it doesn't revolve around magic a ton, It's more about Government, Politics, Finding who you are, And Friendship

Yelena's an orphan, She was raised in the 5th Military District of Ixia. She was one of General Brazzel's orphans. He took care of her then she killed his son, now she was awaiting death, the punishment for taking another's life for ANY reason... But once she accepts that day will be the day she will die, She gets offered a choice, A quick death from hanging... or become the Commander's (Leader of Ixia) Food Taster and wonder if the next bite will be her last. After she chooses to live she faces Brazell's Guards, falling in love with the head of security and master assassin Valek, And Learning she has magic. And if any one finds out... It's death from Valek.

2 other books in the series(Study Series), and a sister series(Glass Series)

-By Maria V. Snyder

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman

Chronicles of Ancient Darkness - Michelle Paver

A song of Ice and Fire - George R R Martin (this is geared towards an older audience, but it's really good.)

The Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paolini

The Demonata Series - Darren Shan

The Maze Runner - James Dashner

Uglies - Scott Westerfield

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.This book is packed with original plot, characters, and creativity. Ransom Riggs is a model and talented author. I look forward to the movie.The book is immediately engrossing and entertaining. It's well written and I can't wait for the sequel. Delighted to see this is selling so well. That means Mr. Riggs can make a living writing books which clearly is the absolute best use of his time! By the way, I loved it, my daughter loved it, and my granddaughter loved it.

Here are some that I don't think have been mentioned yet (although I would definitely reccommend the hunger games!)

Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman

My Sisters Keeper - Jodie Picoult

all of Jodie Picoult's books are absolutely amazing, but My Sister's keeper is the one book that I remember for crying at! It is truely heartbreaking and such a good book! :D

All of the other books suggested on here are awesome as well :D

• Angela

This isn't a series, but I would recommend "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith

Its a rather political novel, about multiracial families trying to survive in London, but in all this, there is a fair amount of love and romance too.. Its just brilliant

Hatchet Series - Bout a boy crashed in wilderness. Gary Paulsen Novels are fantastic for teenagers.

• Alice

Try Nokosee: Rise of the New Seminole (http://bit.ly/Nokosee) and its sequel Nokosee & Stormy: Love & Bullets (http://amzn.to/fqOoph). Both are written from a 17-year-old girl's POV. A coming-of-age tale with lots of action, adventure and romance layered over a twisted save-the-environment plea.

Clay Marble by Minfong Ho. Drawing on her experience with a relief organisation on the Thai border, Ho tells the story of a Cambodian family, fleeing the rival factions of the 80's while hoping to gather resources to return to farming in their homeland.

I am number four by Pittacus Lore. It's the first book in the Lorien Legacies series and it's really great ;)