Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 9 years ago

who are the last known descendants of the Saxon kings and queens of England?

Any known descendants of King Harold? or King Alfred the Great? are there any living descendants that we know of?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There are a lot of living descendants of the Anglo-Saxon Kings. In fact, the vast majority of (ethnic) Brits are most probably descended from them, me and Aida included (why, greetings cousin!).

Members of the British Royal Family are also direct descendants of Anglo-Saxon Kings.

Queen's Elizabeth's ancestry through the Cerdic and the West Saxon royal line (including Alfred the Great):

Cerdic, 1st King of Wessex ---> Creoda ---> Cynric of Wessex ---> Ceawlin of Wessex ---> Cuthwine ---> Cutha Cathwulf ---> Ceolwald of Wessex ---> Coenred of Wessex ---> Ingild of Wessex ---> Eoppa ---> Eafa ---> Ealhmund of Kent ---> Egbert I (first King of England) ---> Aethelwulf of Wessex ---> Alfred the Great ---> Edward the Elder ---> Edmund I ---> Edgar ---> Ethelred II ---> Edmund II ---> Edward the Exile ---> Margaret of Scotland ---> Edith of Scotland ---> Empress Matilda ---> Henry II ---> King John ---> Henry III ---> Edward I ---> Edward II ---> Edward III ---> Lionel, 1st Duke of Clarence ---> Philippa, 5th Countess of Ulster ---> Roger, 4th Earl of March ---> Anne de Mortimer ---> Richard, 3rd Duke of York ---> Edward IV ---> Elizabeth of York ---> Margaret Tudor ---> James V of Scotland ---> Mary, Queen of Scots ---> James I and VI of England and Scotland ---> Elizabeth of Bohemia ---> Sophia of Hanover ---> George I ---> George II ---> Frederick, Prince of Wales ---> George III ---> Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn ---> Queen Victoria ---> Edward VII ---> George V ---> George VI ---> Queen Elizabeth II

Another line from Alfred the Great:

Alfred the Great ---> Aelfthryth, Countess of Flanders ---> Arnulf I, Count of Flanders ---> Baldwin III of Flanders ---> Arnulf II, Count of Flanders ---> Baldwin IV, Count of Flanders---> Baldwin V, Count of Flanders---> Matilda of Flanders ---> Henry I of England ---> Empress Matilda ---> Henry II ---> King John ---> Henry III ---> Edward I ---> Edward II ---> Edward III ---> Lionel, 1st Duke of Clarence ---> Philippa, 5th Countess of Ulster ---> Roger, 4th Earl of March ---> Anne de Mortimer ---> Richard, 3rd Duke of York ---> Edward IV ---> Elizabeth of York ---> Margaret Tudor ---> James V of Scotland ---> Mary, Queen of Scots ---> James I and VI of England and Scotland ---> Elizabeth of Bohemia ---> Sophia of Hanover ---> George I ---> George II ---> Frederick, Prince of Wales ---> George III ---> Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn ---> Queen Victoria ---> Edward VII ---> George V ---> George VI ---> Queen Elizabeth II

Queen Elizabeth's ancestry through Harold Godwinson (Harold II of England):

Harold Godwinson ---> Gytha of Wessex ---> Mstislav I of Kiev ---> Euphrosyne of Kiev ---> Bela III of Hungary ---> Andrew II of Hungary ---> Violant of Hungary ---> Isabella of Aragon ---> Philip IV of France ---> Isabella of France, Queen of England ---> Edward III ---> Lionel, 1st Duke of Clarence ---> Philippa, 5th Countess of Ulster ---> Roger, 4th Earl of March ---> Anne de Mortimer ---> Richard, 3rd Duke of York ---> Edward IV ---> Elizabeth of York ---> Margaret Tudor ---> James V of Scotland ---> Mary, Queen of Scots ---> James I and VI of England and Scotland ---> Elizabeth of Bohemia ---> Sophia of Hanover ---> George I ---> George II ---> Frederick, Prince of Wales ---> George III ---> Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn ---> Queen Victoria ---> Edward VII ---> George V ---> George VI ---> Queen Elizabeth II

• 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

who are the last known descendants of the Saxon kings and queens of England?

Any known descendants of King Harold? or King Alfred the Great? are there any living descendants that we know of?

Source(s): descendants saxon kings queens england: https://shortly.im/4ShYg
  • 4 years ago

Saxon Kings

• 7 years ago

Most English are Anglo Saxon, but there hasnt been an Anglo Saxon King since the Normans invaded since the 1000s.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Geographically, Kiev rests at the hub of Europe and is a completely different world but you can now it greater if you begin from with hotelbye . Kiev is the capital of Ukraine and is the absolute most wonderful town of all the post soviet countries. It is a town of all you least expect. Kiev is an ancient city wherever previous matches new and east matches west. One of many points you can see in Kiev could be the St. Cyrill's Monastery. This monastery was entirely off-the-beaten track. That small church is really as previous as time, relationship back once again to 12th century. Paintings of the famous Mikhail Vrubel get you right into a various world. And the truth that the Monastery is from the key tourist internet sites in Kyiv will make the experience even more humbling and inspirational.

• Josh
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Yes the current Royal family is descended from most of the Anglo-Saxon Kings and Queens except those that did not have children like Edward the Confessor and Harold.

There main claim comes through Matilda of Scotland who was the wife of Henry I she was the the great granddaughter of Edward Ironside and all of his ancestors (including Alfred).

Matilda of Flanders the Wife of William the conqueror was also a descendant of the some of the older anglo-saxon kings.

• 4 years ago

Alfred The Great Family Tree

• 5 years ago

I am! Harold Godwinson is my many, many generations removed great granfather. I know my grandmother has a book someone wrote with a list of the descendants they found in the early 90s. They contacted us and put us in. I haven't seen it since I was elementary aged, but the list was loooong. Like someone mentioned above, its a small island andwe're all descended from/related to someone of note, it just takes some digging ;)

• 9 years ago

Just about every body in England is a 13th cousin of the Queen, so I imagine that a thousand years down the line everybody is descended in some way from the Saxon Kings and Queens too.

from Wiki:

The British royal house traces itself back to William, who took the throne by conquest, but Elizabeth is also descended from Harold Godwinson, the last crowned Saxon king, who died fighting William at the Battle of Hastings, and himself a descendant (probably 6 x great grandson) of Ethelred I, elder brother of Alfred the Great and grandson of Egbert of Wessex

• 6 years ago

I've done extensive research over the yrs & my ancestral line goes back to Alfred & others; the de Windsors, Whytes, Gherardini and many more including Norse Vikings, David I of Scotland & others. One of my ancestors who came from England in the 1600's is my direct line to them but am also finding lines going back on another side of my family. The number of ancestors from just one family member is amazing.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/CEdxc

I should think they would be distant relations dear boy. However if I were to reproduce the entire family tree from Harold to Queen Elizabeth II it would take me all night to accomplish this task. I shall leave it to dear Paco as he has been blessed with a photographic memory and could rustle up a family tree in the time it would take you to have a mudbath. He is our resident genealogical expert in this forum.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.