Does getting a coloured tattoo hurt much?

I've always wanted to get a small tattoo of a pink elephant (one of the 'Pink elephants on parade' from the movie Dumbo), for a long time, but I'm put off at the notion of a needle sticking into my skin. To give you an idea of how low my pain threshold is; I fainted the last time I had a blood... show more I've always wanted to get a small tattoo of a pink elephant (one of the 'Pink elephants on parade' from the movie Dumbo), for a long time, but I'm put off at the notion of a needle sticking into my skin. To give you an idea of how low my pain threshold is; I fainted the last time I had a blood test. I've heard that the coloured tatts hurt worse because the needle has to go deeper into the skin. Is that true? Thanks.
Update: Oh, and the place I want to have it done is the top of my arm, just below the shoulder.