Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

I need a delayed adjective?

i need a delayed adjectives please.

Favorite Answer

"Delayed Adjective" : An adjective placed after the word described. The adjective may be a single adjective or the first word in an adjective phrase. Commas punctuate and separate the delayed adjectives or adjective phrases from the other parts of the sentence: one comma if the delayed adjective ends the sentence, two if it occurs earlier.

Single adjective: "He paused in his humming song, and the bear’s ears stiffened, alert." - Hal Borland, When the Legends Die

Adjective phrase:

"Gwydion sat upright, tense as a bowstring." - Lloyd Alexander, The Book of Three

"I stared at the trees, aware of an eerie silence descending over the forest. - Mildred D. Taylor, Song of the Trees

Single Delayed Adjectives:

1. "A woman of fifty or so, plump with frizzy gray hair, came toward them." - Katherine Paterson, Park’s Quest

2. "A circle of grass, smooth as a lawn, met her eyes, with dark trees dancing all round it." - C. S. Lewis, The Chronicles of Narnia

3. "Jonas felt more and more certain that the destination lay ahead of him, very near now in the night that was approaching." - Lois Lowry, The Giver

Multiple Delayed Adjectives:

4. "The Indian lay there on the floor of the cupboard, stiff and stark." - Lynne Reid Banks, The Indian in the Cupboard

5. "A voice suddenly shouted at me, loud and strong and angry, although I couldn’t understand the words." - Robert Cormier, Take Me Where the Good Times Are