Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

What is up with people and young adult books?!?

People these days have been writing young adult books like crazy in hope to become the next Stephenie Myers. I go to the library and find row after endless row of young adult romance books and they all revolve around the same subject: a stunning supernatural guy, a human woman, the love each other, and some thing that's stopping them from eternal love.

Writing before Twilight used to be something passionate, now everyone just wants to be famous so they write what's trending at the moment. Even writers who don't strive for money and fame are finding it very difficult to get readers because of young adult fiction. I'm afraid of describing my male characters because i think people will put the book down because they think its another young adult book though its a psychological thriller. Its become this huge sea of cliches and no one seems to care that if they write a cliched young adult book there are 10 billion a reader can choose from. Only some young adult stories with very special plots made it out, and they too are cliched!

I'm really frustrated with all this! Everyone says young adult books suck, but then why are they so famous, and why are writers still writing the same book over and over again?!

Polite answers please, I'm sorry if I offended any young adult lover.

Lucipher: People write what they want to write, sure I respect that, but only if their writing passionately. not just because they want to be the new hit of the shelves Stephenie myers.

Favorite Answer

I agree with you, I find the sheer volume of young adult supernatural romance novels extremely overwhelming but I think that we have to just accept that this is just the trend of the time. And it is not like this is something new or even restricted to young adult fiction, before there was an influx in supernatural romances I seem to remember such fads as high society novels, period romances and stakes upon stakes of thrillers and crime novels.

There is always a trending topic in literature. It is a vicious cycle the author or aspiring author reads a couple of books on a topic and then thinks (maybe even subconsciously) 'this would be a interesting topic for me to right about. Also publishers and public add fuel to the flame. When the reading majority enjoys a book, say a supernatural romance, they want more like it. This encourages publishers to publish more novels around this topic, as they want to make a profit and they know that books on said topic are likely to sell.

While this is incredibly annoying, if all books were brilliant and had unique narratives, it would not be as satisfying when one actually finds an amazing book, that is completely different for the rest of the generic novels published at the time.

Also I think that the whole supernatural romance trend is coming to an end and that we should be fearing the next trend in young adult literature 'the teen dystopian novel'. In light of the hunger games novels there seems to have been a depressing increase in novels of this vein, think Matched and Delirium. I personally find this very depressing, as I am a fan of quality dystopian novels and fear that the genre will end up getting destroyed by a bunch of overly ambitious and lazy young adult writers.

It is just a phase, like so many out there. It will eventually pass. If the bookstores are filled up to death with loathes of young adult books, which centre around particular, cliched themes, then people will surely get sick of them. And I guess that publishers will stop publishing them, as well.

I believe that people should write what they "feel like writing". It is true that Twilight has had such a great impact on our daily lives, but there will be a time when it will surely be forgotten, and then, all of a sudden, something new will take over its place. Another vampire novel, a fantasy novel perhaps ? Who knows.

The only thing I can assure you about, is that it will happen.

As for you, do not get discouraged from this fact. Just keep writing your novel with love and passion and, if you truly aim for it, get it published despise the fact of "Twilight rip-offs" existence.

Just let those people write vampire/supernatural romances, and dedicate yourself to your own stories.

It is a huge mistake to always think of "what people like" first, rather than "what YOU like" first.People have different tastes, and they will never be satisfied. These books are popular, because they are appealing to teenagers. But, as far as I can tell, a "psychological thriller" like your story, has its own audience.

Moreover, your genre centers around a particular theme, which is obviously appealing to more .... mature, older audiences. There is nothing on your way, see ? No matter how many young adult books are keep on coming, thriller genre will always have its own audience, as well as romance/fantasy/mystery genre have.

Yeah, the supernatural thing got annoying a couple of worlds ago.

Actually, not all young adult books are bad.

How about rephrasing your question?

What is it about predictable crappy plots with broken record characters?

Yes, it is frustrating. VERY frustrating, in fact. I am, frankly, completely SICK of ANYTHING supernatural (except shadowhunters) but you see, as a former professed lover of young adult romance, I have still a few vestiges of love left for the genre, so I will say this: they take a long time to get old.

Stephenie Meyer wrote Twilight in the time when vampires were still exciting, and so were impossibly multitalented (includes supernatural abilities) Hottie McHottersons...good for her!

Writers are writing the same books over and over again because there are still tween girls out there who are still high on the y/a pot...

Something's stopping them from being together, in Edward's case he is all miserable and crying on the inside and **** cause he's a vampire, and to him living forever is somehow BAD...and then there's the whole No, Bella, I will not have sex with you which in itself is almost as freaky as being a 107 years old virgin...

I simply write things to break genres, ask anyone - I don't write YA though. However, it seems even the adult books are turning into Vampire romances. I remember when the biggest vampire books were Anne Rice's and everyone was drooling over the new Queen of the Damned... god to I hate the post-Dracula vampire fad.

Anyhow, people always want to ride the success of something they like, they read Twilight and they want to write their own simple vampire romance. Companies eat this up because, it sold once so they want to sell it again. Your not always going to get something original like The Haunting of Derek Stone, because its risky for them because they don't know if it sells or not. Seeing that the Twilight novels are all into movies now, I think people write in order to strive for that sort of fame... But that sort of isn't the real point in writing is it?

I think the only rare case where copycatting didn't actually succeed was with Harry Potter.

Source(s): I'm a reader, soon to be a university student.

Believe it or not, a lot of people *want* to write things like that, and they have every right too.

"Even writers who don't strive for money and fame are finding it very difficult to get readers because of young adult fiction." - I have to say I disagree. Plenty of people HATE the YA romance books - probably as many, if not more, than people who like them. They could be writing the popular genre and they'd still probably have trouble getting a lot of readers. It's a one and a million chance a book would get famous.

Why are they so famous? There really aren't too many famous books out their live the ones you describe. There's Twilight, which is probably the most famous (and it's still less popular than Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and plenty of other non-romance books) I don't even know which other ones would count. House of Night? Evermore? I don't even know.

Yes, a lot of people write books like Twilight to get famous, but people also write a lot of books like Harry Potter, Stephen King books, and basically any other famous author/book you can think of. I also think some people just jump to cliche conclusions. "My book has a vampire in it" doesn't automatically equal cliche and a rip-off.

Nobody wants to be a loser or an underachiever. The majority of individuals fight difficult to attain success in life however they quit when they discover that their path to their objectives contain never ending and overwhelming challenges. This is the factor why the majority of people have to remain happy with what they attain in life even if they have the potential to accomplish a lot more. Yet if you pass what Heather Mathews has to say, you can accomplish all the objectives you have established in your life. You can be as effective as you desire, states Manifestation Miracle, a book on self-development composed by Heather Mathews that you could locate here https://tr.im/ablPv

If you use the strategies in your reality you will certainly see the difference. They are many pleased males and females before you. You will undoubtedly be successful in your life as well as easily fulfill your dreams. Actually, you have absolutely nothing to lose as this book does not ask you making any kind financial investments to gain even more money.

Baseding on this guide, the reason why the law of attractiondoes not help in the case of ways to make this law work forbenefit them yet you can be the exception. Once you review this publication, you understand that it is feasible to alter your your personal fate. You will not be worry by seeing obstacles in your path as you recognize how to {take advantage from the law of attraction.

I find them annoying because they never explain their own concepts. It starts with interesting supernatural elements, that give a great opening for what could be a good book. They then move onto over explain the romance and ignore the many loose ends they've left.

• Olivia

I think it's fantastic that there are so many young adult book choices out there because if it gets young adults to read then that's an amazing feat. In my opinion, it doesn't really matter what you read...the news, comics, novels, scripts, manuals, etc. The idea is to read and if you're an adult, encourage and role model to children/teens to read. There will always be fiction that is poor quality but Stephenie Meyer is not the cause of that.

• Chris

1

Source(s): Get Everything You Want http://LawOfAttraction.teres.info/?P1a1

People write what they like to write. If you can't respect that, then you will never be a successful author either.