The story about the woman that touched Jesus?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
What was the moral of the story about the woman who touched Jesus while he was surrounded in a crowd of people that were all touching him but as soon as the woman touched him he ...show more
Update : Im serious lol..no jokes behind it, just an honest question.
Update 2: Im serious lol..no jokes behind it, just an honest question.
Update 3: Thank you Mr.Will...I knew there was some detail I was missing about the ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
She didn't touch Jesus, she touched the hem of His garment.

One of the prophecies about Jesus' first coming was that He would come with healing in His wings. This a reference to the hem of His Jewish robe.

She believed that and touched that and was instantly healed. Jesus knew that power had just been drawn from Him and that's why He asked, who touched me...

Asker's rating & comment

5 out of 5
Thank you for all the answers!
  • 1
  • Comment

Other Answers (16)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Moon Shadow answered 3 years ago
    apparently it was because she truly believed in him or summat like that, hence the miracle happened.

Source(s):

atheist, but a christian told me that years ago when I was a kid.
    • 4
    • Comment
  • Rocky answered 3 years ago
    We innately have a desire to know our maker---this woman who had suffered for years with an issue of blood sensed the presence of righteousness. It must have been so powerful that it drove her to do something drastic. Had she verbalized it to her friends they would thought her crazy, most likely. So was desperate so she must have reasoned that 'If I can just touch his garment, surely I can be cleansed of my sickness." Wow! what faith she is expressing merely by the very act of just touching his garment--suppose it did not work? Her Chance might be lost. Now me I think I would have gotten as close to Jesus as possible and shouted my need to him---hoping he would stop and cure me. This lady, this woman did not do that she chanced everything upon her faith that Jesus was as Holy as people claimed, she must have sense it to be right so with great faith--she touched his garment--touch not grasped, but touched and Jesus knew it instantly. Jesus never misses such faith.

Every relationship we as physical beings have with God, with Jesus who has ascended to the Father is by sheer faith. We cannot touch, smell, hear, see nor taste their presence yet our inward man knows they are there. If this woman can by faith just touch his garment--then we with our faith can touch his heart for our need---and our need he has promised to provide---not our wants.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Mr.Will answered 3 years ago
    I don't like to say story, it is true. so I will say Historical event. the woman had a serious illness and she had an "issue of blood" that meant she couldnt be around "normal ppl" (all of this was because of the customs of that time) so she had faith to believe Jesus could heal her if she just touched his garment she would be made whole.touching ppl was totally offensive when you have a illness of her magnitude. but she had the FAITH to believe if she can just touch his garment she could be made "whole" and she was. I hope I helped. check out youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/MykeWilliam?...

Source(s):

• 3
    • Comment
  • Ophelia answered 3 years ago
    The story you're talking about is one where, as Jesus is heading into Jerusalem(the event we derive Palm Sunday from), a woman who had a disease that caused her to bleed reached out and touched him as she had heard of his healing miracles and believed that he could heal her. When she touched the hem of his clothes, she was healed.

The moral being that because she believed in Christ, she was healed. He stopped and asked who had touched him because he had felt the power leave him. When the woman admitted it, he told her that her faith had healed her. The direct quote might even be "Sister, your faith has healed you."
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Eclectic Heretic answered 3 years ago
    As I recall the passage, Jesus felt power flow from himself when she touched him and knew he had been touched by someone with an illness or problem beyond the ordinary. And there was a great deal of faith on her part in that encounter, which was probably a large part of the point of the story.
    Blessings on your Journey!
    • 1
    • Comment
  • robert C answered 3 years ago
    in the culture she was in it was forbidden for a woman to touch a male in public , so when jesus felt her touch , he knew she was an outsider ,probably a gentile who had immense faith , so no matter who we are ,turning to god in faith can solve most problems
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • grnlow answered 3 years ago
    Though it was a forbidden act for her to touch anyone or be among a crowd, her faith in Jesus to heal her was greater. We see by the reaction of Jesus, he did not know who got the healing. It had to be God in heaven who healed her. All power Jesus had came from God, who also saw and knew the woman's faith. So she was healed.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Jordache answered 3 years ago
    There are several points to be made in this story. One "moral" is about faith some like the story of the centurion which is right after this woman's story. 1) Woman were not allowed to touch men. 2) Because of her condition, she was considered unclean. Unclean people were despised. They were the untouchables. it was thought that you wouldn't spiritually and physically contaminated by touching them. This woman grew up with that stigma and knew that it was a huge risk to touch Jesus qho was not just any man. But she trusted his compassion. This woman had so much faith that she didn't have to kneel in front of him to ask for healing. She simply and covertly snuck through the crowd, and reached out just far enough to touch the hem of his robe. This woman had faith that any contact with Jesus would change her. Her faith, that drove her to sneak through a crowd of people that could have punished her severly for not protecting them against her uncleaness, healed her.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • TFCF Ministry answered 3 years ago
    Your question about the women who the issue of blood covers many aspects. First, one must understand a lot of elements that are seldom pointed out to show the true power of the story.

There are two pivotal words in the account of the healing of the woman with the issue of blood. Those words are “virtue” and “faith.” The Greek word “virtue” is translated dunamis or miraculous power.

1. This was prophesied in Malachi 4:2: "But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings," According to Jewish sages and tradition, this Sun of Righteousness referred to in Malachi's prophecy was understood to be the Messiah, who would have the power to heal who ever touched the tzit-tzit (fringes) on his garment.
    2. Because of her bleeding she was not allowed in public. She went against this Jewish Law in faith for her healing.
    3. She suffered this bleeding for 12 years
    4. Of course Jesus knew who touched His garment. This was a question of faith not a fact finding question.
    5. She knew she would be healed because of the prophecies taught by the prophets.
    6. The scripture below doesn't just say healed but made "Whole". This denotes the actual physical healing and also her spiritual acceptance/belief/faith that He was the Messiah.
    7. Many people would gather for healing when they knew Jesus was in town. Many in this account had reached out to touch Him in efforts to see if anything would happen. Nothing happened because it was not the power or anointing that healed her but her faith that is would.

This is placing it in a very cursory manner. I pray this answered your question.

Speak Life
    Mark 5:25-34
    And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years, And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse, When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment. For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole. And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague. And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of Him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched My clothes? And His disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me? And He looked round about to see her that had done this thing. But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth. And He said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.
    This is not the only account of miracles were performed using a tangible object for healing. Paul used handkerchiefs.

Source(s):

The Bible
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• J answered 3 years ago
    I can't tell whether or not you're being serious.

But the answer to many of the puzzles in the gospels come down to the fact that the Gospel writers are trying to express that Jesus is the messiah.

In this particular story, the woman expresses a belief in that fact by touching the tails of his tunic (there is an OT verse behind this).

And her faith is vindicated by her being healed.
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Provox answered 3 years ago
    Yes. Although the Catholic Church may have misinterpreted that as allowing them to touch little boys.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • P1mpin Curly answered 3 years ago
    Jesus got raped?
    • 1
    • Comment
  • Doc answered 3 years ago
    um stop moslesting me lady... and i will not pay child support mary.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Valos of Science answered 3 years ago
    Jesus is pissed because somebody poked him. Because he did this, that means you should flip out and get pissed when someone touches you, too!
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Woody B answered 3 years ago
    It was his ex wife after more alimony :-)

Source(s):

Agnostic
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Geno answered 3 years ago
    Here comes the atheists' twisted sexual comments!
    • Rate
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock