Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

I have done NOTHING with my life?

I'm 23 years old. Ever since I was 13 I have been acutely mentally self-aware. I have had everything I wanted to do and could do, very clear in front of me. I had definite plans, to excel in so many fields. It has been ten years and I have done absolutely nothing, for no good reason. I am very passive. I waste time. Time never lasts quite as long as I think it will. I am surprised at how quickly the hours pass as I do nothing special. Day after day goes, more like a waterfall than a stream. A day is microcosmic of life. I come to think of a day as an indivisible unit of doing nothing, but the last ten years have consisted of thousands of days, and the same attitude to every day ensures that a decade is lost.

I feel so depressed. I have always dreaded oblivion, more than anything. I have met so many mediocre people who were happy with their mediocrity. I would laugh and be easily assured that I would never be like them. This was when I was 13. As I grew older, the gap between me and others was increasingly bridged, as I saw how my passivity was lagging me behind. I would no longer be assured, I would have to vow not to be mediocre. Now I am 23 years old and because of circumstances I have not even finished my first university degree. I am no one and no one knows who I am. Only I know who I want to be. It seems a far cry, growing farther with age.

What can I do?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

I empathize greatly. What I am doing in hopes of living an at least half-way decent life is attending Job Corps. for the welding program. Before enrolling I had zero exp. in welding and thus far I have zero interest in welding. Why do I continue? Because welders make a good wage, and with this good wage I can pay my way through art school. So what the hell am I trying to say? Do meaningless B.S now so that you can do what you want then. I don't know if this will help and at this point I don't care (short attention span) but whatever.... good luck.

*Edit*

Oh! and if your days seem to be going by too fast, try a polyphasic sleeping schedule. I was on the dymexion schedule for a while there. It was pretty cool but the problem is that the rest of the world doesn't follow it.

• Ehh, you have grown from your average snot nose teenager that knew it all and looked down on people to an adult that found some humility and self realization. Some people aren't so lucky - and that is an accomplishment in itself.

If there are more things you want to accomplish - DO them. We can talk all day about our hopes and dreams, but action speaks volumes. Our lives are what WE make them.

If it's any consolation, I wanted to be an astronaut and was certain I would have solved world hunger by now. The reality of it is that I only worked hard enough to get a job in marketing, and volunteer at a soup kitchen once a month. So - at times I settle for my accomplishments, and at times I strive for bigger ones.

Wish me luck - half the battle is waking up on the right side of the grass every morning.

Good luck to you.

• 8 years ago

Get busy its not too late don't wait till your married with 2.5 children, a cat and a dog, mortgage payment and two car payments .

@ You might check with your doctor you might be experiencing a sort of depression.

Sometimes the thought that you are now in charge of yourself and what a huge responsibility that is can make you feel overwhelmed.

Then we just stop dead in our tracks and give up. Pretty normal especially for the thinker the serious person.

Relax you are only 23 a baby in the grand scheme of things.

Just sit down and make a long term goal.... what do you want out of life. Then break it down to small easily achieved goals until you reach your ultimate goal . Good luck

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Our idea of succes seems to be fame, wealth, status etc.

But there's more to life than that.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST you drop by a book store and pick up "The Purpose Driven Life" By Rick Warren.

I believe it will help a lot with your current stand point in life.

It's not some religious book, it won't stuff religion down your throat - but it will open you up to see life, what life really us, and your purpose in it - It's amazing - ive seen people change for the better after reading that book. Please check it out!!!

Source(s): Reppin for Jesus
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

We all have those moments or maybe constant time periods where we are in self discovery and sometimes we feel failure or a lose of interest but whats really comforting is how god feels about us:

God is so close to his depressed servants that it is as if he resided with the “crushed and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly ones and to revive the heart of the ones being crushed.” (Isaiah 57:15) How comforting to know that “Jehovah is near to those that are broken at heart; and those who are crushed in spirit he saves”!—Psalm 34:18.

How can you find TRUE comfort & Happiness?

At any time of the day, God’s worshippers have approach to the “Hearer of prayer,” who can help us to cope with distressing feelings and circumstances. (Psalm 65:2) The Bible urges us to pour out our hearts to him: “Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving let your petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that excels all thought will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus.”—Philippians 4:6, 7.

What if feelings of unworthiness make us think that our prayers are not being heard?

Depression may cause us to conclude that our attempts to please God are not adequate. However, our heavenly Father is sensitive to our fragile emotions, “remembering that we are dust.” (Psalm 103:14) Even if “our hearts may condemn us,” we can “persuade our hearts” that “God is greater than our hearts and knows all things.” (1 John 3:19, 20, footnote) Therefore, you can use expressions in your prayers that you glean from such Bible passages as Psalm 9:9, 10; 10:12, 14, 17; and 25:17.

So ask for help and pray for meaningful life and for things to fall in place as they may.

Try to be postive and rely on god! I wish you the best.

• 8 years ago

Unproductive human being? You're in the right place. Welcome to R&S, where we sit here all day answering questions and accomplishing nothing! Drinks are free.

Seriously though, lots of people your same age go through the same thing. Set some goals and find some hobbies that you can take pride in. And beware of religious zealots who prey upon people in desperation, offering over-simplified religious solutions. It's not worth it.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Are we even supposed to so something with ours lives?, NO, Sociaty FORCES peoples to do things with their lives so it can keep growing richier with our efforts

Just Kick out all the social nonsense of your brain and you will be fine

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Join the gym increase your matablism and get mmore energy to be productive as well as relieve stress gain better health mentally and phisically. make knew freinds, etc,, etc,, etc,,,

• ?
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

You could join the military service and go kill somebody, maybe that would make you feel better.

• Daddy
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

I read that. Now I HAVE done something with MY life.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.