Why did my photos turn out so fuzzy?

I own a canon 7d which I've only had for about a week so I'm still getting used to it. Yesterday I did take some fall pictures of two little girls who were of course moving around a lot. It was an overcast day so I had my shutter set on about 1/100 per sec. and my ISO at about 160-200. I did notice half way through the shoot my IS wasn't turned on on the lens I was using (canon ef 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM) but even after I turned it on my pictures didn't turn out as sharp as I like and they were very grainy. Of course I feel like if you don't see the pores on the subjects face it's not a clear picture. lol. But I never had this much trouble getting a clear image before. I was shooing AI Servo too. The pictures were still good but they just weren't as sharp as I like. Any tips on what I could be doing or shouldn't be doing? Thanks!

Okay, how exactly do I add pictures on here?

Best Answer

"I did notice half way through the shoot my IS wasn't turned on on the lens I was using (canon ef 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 IS USM)" and "It was an overcast day so I had my shutter set on about 1/100"

There is part of the problem. to avoid bluriness when, you need to shoot at least as fast as your focal lenght.

Okay so that seems to not make sense but read on.

If you are shooting at 300mm you need to shoot at at least 1/300th of a second.

If you are shooting at 200mm then you need to shoot at least at 1/200th of a second.

That and 1/100 for girls running is a bit on the slow side.

Now as to why they would be grainy when you said you were shooting at ISO 100 to 200, I'm not quite sure.

You can't add a picture here, you add it to a site like Flikr (you already have an account as it's part of the Yahoo family of sites) with the EXIF information intact so we can see exactly what you did and then paste the link to the image in your question.

Another problem here is that the lens you are using is a consumer lens ... you'll see a marked difference between that lens and let's say a 70-200 f2.8 L series or the 70-200 f4 L. The lens you have isn't horrible but if you are comparing your work with that of someone using L series glass then you will obviously be sorely disapointed.

Yeah, a couple of examples could go a long way here.

The blur is the shutter speed was too slow. The noise is much more troublesome. Were the subjects in shadow when you shot them? Noise can be a lot more apparent when it is the only thing in focus, and it is more pronounced in underexposures.

• Jens

Could you upload sample shots somewhere and show them here?

1/100sec shutter speed is too slow to freeze moving subjects. IS only works against camera shake blur, it does absolutely nothing to freeze motion. Still, i'm at a loss to explain the grain/noise, hence the request for seeing a sample.

Edit: Upload them to tinypic dot com (i can't post links) and post the link ;)