Anonymous

Do you agree with the Alabama law on illegal immigrants?

STEELE, Alabama — A sponsor of Alabama’s new anti-illegal immigration law has made it clear to desperate tomato farmers that the law will not be amended. Republican state Sen. Scott Beason told farmers on Monday that the law will not change, even though the farmers are at risk of losing their crops.

Sen. Beason, of Gardendale, met with about 50 growers and business people alike on Monday at a tomato packing shed on Chandler Mountain in northeast Alabama. The group complained that the new law, which went into effect Thursday, has led many immigrant workers to leave their jobs out of fear of deportation. “The tomatoes are rotting on the vine, and there is very little we can do,” said Chad Smith, a tomato farmer. However, an adamant Beason responded by saying: “My position is to stay with the law as it is.”

Beason co-wrote and is a sponsor of the law that was enacted in June, aiming to crack down on illegal immigration. Similar to Arizona’s SB 1070 law as well as those of other states, the Alabama version allows police officers to detain those who do not show proof of legal status. Beason argues that the law will help make more jobs available for Alabama residents, are suffering with a 9.9 percent unemployment rate. The farmers explained that some of their workers may have been illegal aliens, but they were the only ones willing to do the work for such little pay.

“This law will be in effect this entire growing season,” said Beason.

He added that he would talk to his congressman about the need for a federal temporary worker program. However, angry farmers are arguing that without workers, there will be no crops for next season. “There won’t be no next growing season,” exclaimed farmer Wayne Smith. “Does America know how much this is going to affect them? They’ll find out when they go to the grocery store. Prices on produce will double.” Although the Alabama law has been contested in court, U.S. District Judge Sharon Blackburn allowed many aspects of the law to go into effect on Thursday. As tensions rise over illegal immigration issues, more and more states are devising their own bills to combat the illegal immigration problem in the U.S. However, there are several immigrants that want to apply for legal status, they may just be afraid to come forward or may not know what to do. If you or a loved one is struggling with any immigration-related problem, seek the help of an immigration attorney right away.

Immigration lawyers handle a variety of issues, including legal status, deportation, amnesty, family reunification and even criminal charges. They will also see to it that their clients obtain a legal job and place to live. Knowing how difficult the transition into a new country can be, immigration attorneys take care of everything regarding their clients’ cases, such as paperwork and all the necessary phone calls, to ensure that clients have nothing else to worry about.

Turn to an exceptional immigration lawyer right away to get started on your case and ensure the best possible outcome.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

yes I agree with it unlike here in CA where the Governor passed a bill that will allow illegal immigrants receive financial aid for college...come on really in this economy???

• Trudy
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Why doesn't AL require proof of citizenship? ALL states should do this. Illegal aliens are not entitled to food stamps just because their children are legal in theory. Personally, the 14th amendment was never intended to make everyone a citizen. That is just liberal hogwash that has taken root over the decades, not the original intention of our Constitution. I don't see how illegal parents can produce a legal child. Send the parents back and let them take their children with them, instead of protesting like a bunch of self-entitled leeches! Oh, yes, in the meantime, let them eat cake or starve.

• 9 years ago

I completely agree, and I would have no problem paying 3 times the amount for tomatoes if it meant all illegals were booted out.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I agree with the law they can hire americans and pay yhem a decent wage instead of paying illegals 50¢ an hour. I'll pay more for my produce gladly.

Source(s): Me
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Definitely not , farmers are having to go out of business because Americans will not harvest their crops.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.