Should I buy a DSLR camera?

So I could drop about $700-$800 on a DSLR, but not for a few more weeks. I am only considering Canon because I have background exp with them and am more comfortable with how they operate when compared to Nikon. Pentax is garbage and Olympus is a joke. I know my options narrow way down by this point. Basically... show more So I could drop about $700-$800 on a DSLR, but not for a few more weeks. I am only considering Canon because I have background exp with them and am more comfortable with how they operate when compared to Nikon. Pentax is garbage and Olympus is a joke.

I know my options narrow way down by this point. Basically it is a toss up between the T3i, T2i, and I don't know what else. I would prefer to buy the body only and then get a 50mm prime lens which would probably suffice for my shooting habits.

However I am a college student and, of course, the money is somewhat tight. Should I wait and just put one of these cameras on my x-mas wish list? Or should I buy it so I can document the seasons and festivities that are growing nearer? Or should I ask my parents if they will contribute towards one? I plan on selling my current camera and could probably fetch $100 for it at auction -- thereby lowering the amount that I would need to pay out of pocket.