Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

I have done NOTHING with my life?

I'm 23 years old. Ever since I was 13 I have been acutely mentally self-aware. I have had everything I wanted to do and could do, very clear in front of me. I had definite plans, to excel in so many fields. It has been ten years and I have done absolutely nothing, for no good reason. I am very passive. I waste time. Time never lasts quite as long as I think it will. I am surprised at how quickly the hours pass as I do nothing special. Day after day goes, more like a waterfall than a stream. A day is microcosmic of life. I come to think of a day as an indivisible unit of doing nothing, but the last ten years have consisted of thousands of days, and the same attitude to every day ensures that a decade is lost.

I feel so depressed. I have always dreaded oblivion, more than anything. I have met so many mediocre people who were happy with their mediocrity. I would laugh and be easily assured that I would never be like them. This was when I was 13. As I grew older, the gap between me and others was increasingly bridged, as I saw how my passivity was lagging me behind. I would no longer be assured, I would have to vow not to be mediocre. Now I am 23 years old and because of circumstances I have not even finished my first university degree. I am no one and no one knows who I am. Only I know who I want to be. It seems a far cry, growing farther with age.

What can I do?

Best Answer

Begin by living each day at a time without all these pressures you have imposed on yourself. So what if you don't achieve A B C or D. There is more to life than fitting into a pigeon hole. One day at a time... And, don't beat yourself up. You are alive, for one thing. That's more than some who no longer are. Think about it.

23 is still very young.So what does this mean-- you aren't an Eagle Scout with 200 badges and awards, you didn't graduate top of your high school class with a bunch of scholarships? You decided not to be a foreign exchange student who went to Holland or somewhere? "Don't put off tomorrow what you can do today" is how the saying goes. . So, quit procrastinating and start setting some goals for yourself. It doesn't get any easier at 33, or even 43. Opportunities diminish as we age. Start trying to accomplish something now, even if it plans and goals don't quite work out the way you expect you can at least say you tried, and you might get exposed to ideas or personal opportunities you might have never conceived at a previous time or age. Good luck.

Source(s): hindsight

Hmmmm. It's funny because I am kind of in the same position as you. I am 22 and from Vancouver, Canada. When I was younger I had much more ambition and I knew I was talented enough to do whatever I wanted with my life. Now I am almost in my last year of university and have no idea what to do.

I don't like ONE single thing enough to devote all my time and energy to it. But I know that if I did I would be great at it. Now I find myself envying people who I consider less talented than myself only because they made a choice to focus on ONE thing and stick with it. Is that the route to happiness? Maybe once you make a choice like that it all becomes clear. It's like you can't see all the possibilities until you walk through the door. Maybe? I don't know.

I know what you mean about the depression. Not only is it disheartening to continuously not reach your potential, but it is frightening to realize that you aren't doing anything about it. And it sucks to see the average joe, going on with his daily life, being happy about it and getting more credit than you do.

The conclusion I have reached is that I need to stop ingesting marijuana smoke on a regular basis. I would be very curious to see if you also part-take in such activities. Another thing that I have been thinking is that travelling might be the answer. I have never been on an international trip (w/out my parents), let alone an extended international trip. I think something like that would really clear your head and help you sort out what's important to you in life.

You can still do anything you want, 23 is still young. If you can, go to community college and take some classes. If you want to go back to University, then go for it, but if you haven't been in school for a while, I recommend one semester taking a few classes at community college first. If you have something in mind like a mechanic or cook, you can do other schooling. You could always try to make your way up the corporate ladder at a restaurant or something as well, although you'll have to work hard at this. If you have any special traits, you can always try to do something in that. Just keep yourself busy.

Why not be happy with what you have? Its better to enjoy life then to be disappointed by it all the time. Find people who want to be with you, and don't feel so alone. Every one in their life probably feel like this at some point. For some longer than others. A way to fulfill your self would be to find some sort of religion that is right for you.

Source(s): I have experienced the same thing.

I know how you feel, and something that helped me immensely was a psychedelic trip.

It allowed me to go ver very deep into my conscious, figure out what I truly wanted, and gave me the motivation and understanding to pursue it.

Do research, as I did. I would suggest 5.5 grams of dried pcilocybin mushroom. Take it, and sit in a room of complete darkness with no sound, and no light. It is amazing. Do not use this drug for leisure, use it as a tool

Hello

• blank

You're very young yet. Give it time, and lower your expectations slightly. Take one step at a time, and before you know it you will reach your goals.

Now this is a serious answer: You should become a writer. That was beautifully written (:

If you want, I can do something with your life *sharpens knife menacingly*