Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

British vs American Spelling?

Could anyone find or give me a list of words spelled differently in American English and British English? Some examples are "airplane" and "aeroplane" or "check" and "cheque". My history teacher is from England and he keeps taking off points on my papers because they're not spelled the British way and it's getting really annoying :\

@hamrrfan Sorry I didn't mean to make it confusing. I just thought it would be better to come to people who know the British spellings (you never see them at all here).

@Bored Guy It is useful to know the British spellings, but since I live in the US, it would be pointless to use them in writing because we have our own "proper" way of spelling :)

• Favorite Answer

The guy above's answer is on wikipedia ^^^^,, wikipedia is sooo not reliable , can be changed init ; ) Juss sayiiinn...

There are many but the most common ones are on this website below>>>>>

http://oxforddictionaries.com/page/spellingbritame...

Btw im british too, and since your teacher is in america he should learn the american spellings the numpty

Source(s): The worlds most trusted dictionary...Oxford Dictionary = ' ]

Your question is a little confusing since it is posted on the UK site.

Your spelling should be based on the country in which your school is located.

If it is in the U.S then you should use American spelling. In that case you and/or your parents should complain to the principal. Your teacher is wrong and should follow American standards.

An old saying is "When in Roman, do as the Romans do". That means to follow customs and rules of the locality in which one is located.

If you are an American being schooled in a British spelling area e.g. Canada, then you should learn their spelling.

There are sites that compare British and American spellings. You or your teacher should one of those.

British; Centre.

American; Center

British; Colour

American; Color

Only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

EDIT Just thought of summat else. Americans spell some "isation" words (such as industrialisation) as "ization" (e.g "industrialization")

EDIT #2 "Mom" isn't necessarily an Americanism; I'm from the West Midlands, where it's used almost exclusively instead of "mum".

American/ British

center/centre

color/colour

favorite/favourite

• ?

Your teacher has chosen to live in America and should follow your rules. What if he lived in Mexico, he'd reject every essay for being in a foreign language?!

I'm sure Wiki will give an exhaustive answer to your question.

When I was growing up in the 70s my parents would tell me off for saying ten - four or I guess so. 40 years on, guess what I'm the same with my kids when they say "guys" (to everyone). Hate that word!!!

• flumpo

Well he is in the wrong its your country and your system, report him and have him fired.

One to point out is spelled, their is no such word in British english it's Spelt.

Tell this guy to stick it, and I'm English by the way, he is being an idiot.

Tonight is English Tonite is American

Tyre is English Tire is American

Jelly is English Jello is American

American/British

color/colour

Armor/Armour

Honor/Honour

Behavior/Behaviour

Mom/Mum

Favorite/Favourite

Labor/Labour

Humor/Humour

Kilometre/Kilometer

British -our vs. American -or difference

British -re vs. American -er

difference

British -ae/-oe/-oeu vs. American

-e/-o/-eu difference

http://www.studyenglishtoday.net/british-american-...

On the link below you will find some words about a third of the way down as you scroll or slide the cursor,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_...

have fun, just plough / plow your way thru / through :)

Well then, grow up and pay attention, this is obviously your one and only chance to learn english PROPERLY, so grab it with both hands and never look back. You will never regret it.