why do my bed sheets always get holes in them?

I live with 2 other people and we all have those 400-600 thread count bed sheets....they have had theres for years....I always go threw mine because some how I manage to put huge holes in them...how come when I sleep I make holes in my bed sheets??? and no one else does!

Favorite Answer

Try cutting your toe nails. When we all sleep we constantly move our feet, especially if you have RFS (restless foot syndrome). If you have long toes nails this would explain why you have holes in your sheets - your sheets have no chance.

Source(s): FRS sufferer

I just had this problem and I was wondering if I was running in my sleep like dogs do, lol. I was really surprised when I saw not only my sheet but my mattress pad too had fallen apart down in my foot area. I have short toenails and I'm the only one in my bed, no pets either. I'm 61 years old and this has never happened before.

Lately, my feet have been very dry so I've been exfoliating them and putting beeswax or foot cream on them in the morning and then I put beeswax or foot cream on them before I go to bed.

I think the foot cream or beeswax caused the holes in the sheets because the damage is exactly where my feet are when laying in my bed. As a matter of fact, I only noticed the tears with my feet when I was trying to move them in the morning . . . I accidentally ripped the hole larger. It's not just a few rips or a hole; the entire area, about a 2-foot circumference is threadbare. The sheets and mattress pad are solid and strong everywhere else. No other wear spots, loose seams or threads anywhere.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else who has been putting beeswax or foot cream on their feet have made their sheets threadbare where their feet go.

I have tiny holes in my sheets and pillow cases, so it is not from my feet, I think it is from my top loader washing machine. I have an LG and it has a crazy fast spin cycle even on the lowest setting. I am thinking of getting a front loading machine. Does anyone else have this problem. My sheets are 400 to 600 thread count.

Are you bleaching your sheets? If so, bleach weakens the fibers and cause the threads to break down and tear. If you are treating any stains with harsh chemicals, that would also cause those areas to weaken and tear. Although most 400 to 600 thread count sheets are well made and tightly woven, if they are made of short staples of threads, it weakens the strength of the linen. A 600 thread count means there are 600 threads going up and down and sideways to weave one square inch of cloth. That is good quality. However, if the staples of threads are short, then there is no strength there. Often sheets made in china are crappy.

Hope this helps.

If your heels are dry that is what is causing the tears or holes. 100% positive. Lotion or moisturize your feet before bed, wear socks or continue to shred your bed sheets. Especially the higher thread count / satin sheets. They won't stand a chance against some rough, ashy, scaly, knarly dry dawgs.

When ever the 2 other people notice a hole in their sheet they swop it with one of yours. Do you buy your sceats at a job lot type store? These places tend to sell products that have been laying around shops for years. This can cause dry-rot that shows up as small holes.

I have the same problem! It is always on the bottom sheet where my heels rest. I have a habit of crossing my ankles while watching tv/reading before actually sleeping. I have come to the conclusion that the extra weight placed in that spot stretches and thins that area. Then when I turn to different positions at night the of pressure using my feet to assist me ultimately causes the thinned area to split.

Where do you store your sheets? Where you store your sheets do you have cedar chips or cedar blocks sitting in there? Maybe you have moths in your place, moth will eat clothes and any types of material. Other then that I am not sure what I can tell you. :-)

• carver

keep your toe nails cut

don't fire