Rats or mice for pets?

Recently my dog of 15 years passed away and I moved into an apartment that does not allow cats or dogs. I REALLY want another pet, something I can play with that enjoys human interaction. I am interested in having a mouse (or mice) or a rat (or rats). As I have never had a animal of this sort, I want to choose the... show more Recently my dog of 15 years passed away and I moved into an apartment that does not allow cats or dogs. I REALLY want another pet, something I can play with that enjoys human interaction. I am interested in having a mouse (or mice) or a rat (or rats). As I have never had a animal of this sort, I want to choose the best option for me, and give it the very BEST care.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Which would be better and more loving? Which is a more tender animal? Which one doesn't mind human attention?

Thank you so much for your help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Update: I also would like to know if it would be better to start off with a BABY or would an adult be fine? Are they more difficult to get close to when they are adults?