Would it be safe to give my 3 month a taste of vanilla pudding?

Would it be safe to give my 3 month old a itty bitty taste of vanilla pudding off the tip of my finger? I'm a new mom, and I know its not safe for her to eat foods yet other than breast milk or formula, but whenever I eat my pudding she always giggles, its really cute to watch, but it made me wonder if I were to put a VERY small drop on my finger then give it to her, would that be safe? and please give me real answers not ridicule, I'm looking for legitimate help, not people telling me I'm a bad parent, thanks :D

Don't worry, I'm NOT actually going to give her any. I was just curious since she always giggles at it, lol.

• Lola
    Favorite Answer

Health experts and breastfeeding experts agree that it's best to wait until your baby is around six months old before offering solid foods. There has been a large amount of research on this in the recent past, and most health organizations have updated their recommendations to agree with current research. Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

World Health Organization

UNICEF

US Department of Health & Human Services

American Academy of Pediatrics

American Academy of Family Physicians

American Dietetic Association

Australian National Health and Medical Research Council

Royal Australian College of General Practitioners

Health Canada

Delaying solids gives baby greater protection from illness.

Although babies continue to receive many immunities from breastmilk for as long as they nurse, the greatest immunity occurs while a baby is exclusively breastfed. Breastmilk contains 50+ known immune factors, and probably many more that are still unknown. One study has shown that babies who were exclusively breastfed for 4+ months had 40% fewer ear infections than breastfed babies whose diets were supplemented with other foods. The probability of respiratory illness occurring at any time during childhood is significantly reduced if the child is fed exclusively breast milk for at least 15 weeks and no solid foods are introduced during this time. (Wilson, 1998) Many other studies have also linked the degree of exclusivity of breastfeeding to enhanced health benefits

Delaying solids gives baby's digestive system time to mature.

If solids are started before a baby's system is ready to handle them, they are poorly digested and may cause unpleasant reactions (digestive upset, gas, constipation, etc.). Protein digestion is incomplete in infancy. Gastric acid and pepsin are secreted at birth and increase toward adult values over the following 3 to 4 months. The pancreatic enzyme amylase does not reach adequate levels for digestion of starches until around 6 months, and carbohydrate enzymes such as maltase, isomaltase, and sucrase do not reach adult levels until around 7 months. Young infants also have low levels of lipase and bile salts, so fat digestion does not reach adult levels until 6-9 months.

Delaying solids helps to protect baby from future obesity.

The early introduction of solids is associated with increased body fat and weight in childhood.

Delaying solids makes starting solids easier.

Babies who start solids later can feed themselves and are not as likely to have allergic reactions to foods.

Personally I wouldn't see a problem with this if you are just doing it to let her taste it. It's not like your feeding her the entire carton! Even so the advice and guidelines of weaning change all the time - 3 months / 4 months / 6months and even then it varies depending what country you are in. Plus every child is different.

You are her mum - trust your own instincts. If you are happy to do it then just do it. The only concerns would be that I can see would be that she may develop a sweet tooth or if it's home made pudding does it contain raw eggs?

It would be safe but 3months its just so young i think its a bit unneccessary (i have no idea how to spell that it always gets me lol). Her little digestive system is no where near ready yet but u know ur baby better than us so its ur decision really. But i wouldnt risk an upset tummy for the sake of a 2second taster u have allll the time in the world for that :) i started weening my son at 6months, and then i gave him small tasters of random stuff

• Sunny

no definitley not safe, their digestive system cannot handle ANYTHING except for breast milk or formula at this point. when she's about 6 months old you can start introducing other foods to her.

• Cammie

Never introduce food that are sweet to Begin with.You are more likely to have a picky eater later on.

Wait till six months and start with rice cereal mixed with breast milk or formula.

• Katie

Of course it isn't and you know it isn't. If you wanted something to play with you should have gotten a dog.

The effects probably wouldn't be dramatic BUT why would you want to?

Safe? I suppose so. Stupid? Definitely.