Megan asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

history sources, help please :)?

i am writing an essay for my history coursework on how world war one affected the lives of women. we have to use five sources to back this up. however i am struggling on my source analysis. i have written about the reliability/ usefullness/ what it shows and why it had ben written ... im needing to add some extra detail to boost my grades futher but im struggling . if someone could suggest some ideas on structure or analysis ect , it would be greatly appreciated . thankyou :)xx

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

US, UK, Germany?

US:

Women helped in the war effort - moving into jobs that had been held by men, who then went off to war. When the war ended, much of this freedom ended, and once again, the women went back to "women's rights" - in particular, the right to vote.

"Women In WWI

WWI

Thirty Thousand Women Were There

In 1901 and 1908 the establishment of the Army and Navy Nurse Corps opened the door for women

in the military but ever so slightly. It wasn't until the United States got involved in World War One

that some parts of the government got serious about using woman power.

As the Army stumbled around bureaucratic red tape trying to figure out how to enlist women the

Navy simply ignored the War Department dissenters and quickly recruited women. Nearly 13,000

women enlisted in the Navy and the Marine Corps on the same status as men and wore a uniform

blouse with insignia. The Navy's policy was extended to the Coast Guard, but personnel records

from World War I contain scarcely any references to the Coast Guard Yeomanettes. A handful of

them apparently were employed at the diminutive Coast Guard headquarters building in

Washington. Nineteen-year-old twin sisters Genevieve and Lucille Baker transferred from the Naval

Coastal Defense Reserve to become the first uniformed women in the Coast Guard. With the war's

end the Coast Guard Yeomanettes, along with their Navy and Marine Corps counterparts, were

mustered out of the service.

These were the first women in the U.S to be admitted to some military rank and status."

http://www.hack1966.com/womenWWI.html

comments and posters from the era:

http://womeninwwi.blogspot.com/

"One immediate result of the war's outbreak was the rise in female unemployment, especially among the servants, whose jobs were lost to the middle-classes' wish to economise.

However, it was soon seen that the only option to replace the volunteers gone to the front was employing women in the jobs they had left behind; conscription only made this need even more urgent as had the Munitions of Work Act 1915 by which munitions factories had fallen under the sole control of the Government.

As the main historian of women's work, Gail Braybon, claims, for many women the war was "a genuinely liberating experience" (link) that made them feel useful as citizens but that also gave them the freedom and the wages only men had enjoyed so far. Approximately 1,600,000 women joined the workforce between 1914 and 1918 in Government departments, public transport, the post office, as clerks in business, as land workers and in factories, especially in the dangerous munitions factories, which were employing 950,000 women by Armistice Day (as compared to 700,000 in Germany)."

http://www.firstworldwar.com/features/womenww1_fou...

"World War I came at a pivotal time in the women's movement. The war began in 1914 and the United States entered the war in 1917, just one year after the first woman entered the U.S. House of Representatives. Although the war provided new opportunities for women to prove themselves, it also drew attention away from the women's movement as the war dominated the headlines."

Read more: Women's Rights During WWI | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8234830_womens-rights-dur...

• 4 years ago

In regular, continuously examine expertise from wikipedia with a moment supply. Most academics don't enable wikipedia for use as a useful resource, however in my enjoy, wikipedia is a quality beginning factor given that you'll be able to get an outline and hyperlinks to extra expertise ordinarily.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.