Black Smoke and TPS High Reading?

I have an 89 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 3.3L engine. The CEL has been on for a while now. Over the past couple of months I've been working on the car trying to get it in shape for a drive from Texas to Missouri. I had taken it to a dealership and they didn't give me any specific answer from their diagnostic, but said that my TPS, MAF/MAS, and/or oxygen sensor was faulty. I replaced them all on my own. All of the repairs went smooth, except for when I put the TPS connector back in, some of the prongs broke. The car drove perfectly for a while, then after I replaced the O2 sensor it started driving bad again. It was jerky and i usually had to tap the gas once I put it in gear to keep it from dying out (when cold). When decelerating the car would jerk a little.l Last week I took it to Orileys and ran a diagnostic on it my self. It said that the TPS was grounded low. I assumed it was from the connector being broken, so I bought another to replace it.

I replaced the connector this past Sunday. After the connector was replaced, the car started acting worse than before. The idle was rough, the car died and could hardly hold an idle. It was rough when I connected the vacuum hose, and a little smoother when I took it off. I had another diagnostic run on it, and the code for "TPS High" came up. I managed to make the trip from TX to MO, but the car would die out at low speeds, and a lot of black smoke would come out of the tail pipe. I had put some fuel injector cleaner in the car, thinking it would stop the smoke, when I first gassed up to make the trip. At one point I also noticed white smoke coming from where the catalytic converter and the muffler connect. It had been raining, so I assumed it was steam, plus I haven't seen any smoke coming from that part of the car as of late.

I had also adjusted the idle screw from time to time to set it high enough to keep the car running at low speeds and stop lights. i ran another diagnostic on it yesterday an the same reading for "TPS High" came up. I also saw something in the "history" for code 34 (something to do with the ECU), but I'm not sure if that was from my car or someone else's.

I don't have much money to work with, and can't get a job too far away from home until I get my car running again, so any repair advice that I could do myself is appreciated.

Someone else suggested that I have the catalytic converter checked out. During the trip, while trying to get the car started I once saw white smoke coming from the catalytic converter.

Favorite Answer

Sounds to me that you still have a problem with the TPS. Check your wiring. Solder your connections.

• tiara

that's extremely conceivable which you have a broken injector head. Such might reason extra gas to be getting into than meant to. Take subsequently, once you replace one injector, you may replace all of them with the intention to get equivalent overall performance. Please do no longer enable anybody enable you recognize otherwise. Being contained in the motor vehicle restoration industry for as long as I even have, I even have had shoppers deliver me their motor vehicle and ask "whats incorrect?" whilst they replaced basically one injector. It does make a difference. changing them unexpectedly may well be somewhat costly, besides the incontrovertible fact that it is going to pay off contained in the long-term. do no longer do what PhilGee says, do no longer spray that mass air flow sensor with brake purifier, spray it with no longer something. you're taking a gamble of messing up a element which will value around $3 hundred to change.

check for a broken ground- loose connection or the TPS is not engaged with the throttle linkage you have to read the volts at the signal line and output line 5.0 V reference

Source(s): ASE tech