Do surge suppressors divide power amongst the different things plugged into them?

I'm not sure power is the correct term but I'll give an example. If I plug a lamp, a cell phone, and an iPad 2 into the outlets on the surge suppressor does that take the over all electrical output of the main outlet the suppressor is plugged into and divide it by 3? If so would it be better to use a different outlet for each item instead of the suppressor?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

All of the outlets on strip are wired in parallel. Each device pulls the current that it requires to function up to the max that the surge suppressor handle(there is a circuit breaker on the suppressor).

Source(s): Retired Telcom Tech Support Guy
  • Randy
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

A suppressor is simply a extension cord with six outlets & 1 high voltage safety device to protect all 6 .

• jaberi
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

no, as a count of actuality it would desire to help in case of a means surge in the process a hurricane. additionally, many surge protectors have warranties that cover each little thing plugged into them, so if something gets fried and it became plugged right into a surge protector, the corporation will replace it. i'd get one. that's the terrific thank you to maintain your costly electronics secure from electric powered harm

• 8 years ago

It does not divide. It shares up to the total rating of the device. Those items do not use much.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Think! It's a SUPPRESSOR, not a divider!

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I think so but i´m not 100% sure

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.