yes things were better:
The day the democrats took over was not January 22, 2009 it was actually January 3, 2007 the day the Democrats took over the House of Representatives and the Senate, the start of the 110th Congress. The Democratic Party controlled a majority in both chambers for the first time since the end of the 103rd Congress in 1995.
January 3, 2007 was the day the Democrats took over the Senate and the Congress:
At the time:
1. The DOW Jones closed at 12,621.77
2. The GDP for the previous quarter was 3.5% 3. The Unemployment rate was 4.6% 4. George Bush's Economic policies SET A RECORD of 52 STRAIGHT MONTHS of JOB CREATION!
Remember the day...
1. January 3, 2007 was the day that Barney Frank took over the House Financial Services Committee and Chris Dodd took over the Senate Banking Committee.
2. The economic meltdown that happened 15 months later was in what part of the economy? BANKING AND FINANCIAL SERVICES!
3. Thank Congress for taking us from 13,000 DOW, 3.5 GDP and 4.6% Unemployment to this CRISIS by dumping 5-6 TRILLION Dollars of toxic loans on the economy from YOUR Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac fiasco's! (BTW: Bush asked Congress 17 TIMES to stop Fannie & Freddie - starting in 2001, because it was financially risky for the U.S. economy, but no one was listening).
And who took the THIRD highest pay-off from Fannie Mae AND Freddie Mac?
And who fought against reform of Fannie and Freddie???
OBAMA and the Democratic Congress.
REMEMBER JANUARY 3, 2007.... THE DAY THE DEMOCRATS TOOK OVER!"
Bush may have been in the car, but the Democrats were in charge of the gas pedal and steering wheel!
Bush Tax cuts of 2001 and 2003
INCOME TAX REVENUE BY YEAR: ( In Billions)
2003 = 925
2004 = 998
2005 = 1,206
2006 = 1,398
2007 = 1,534
WOW.. Now isn't that Interesting.. How could revenue go UP, when taxes go DOWN ????
Unemployment rates during same period: ( Going DOWN each year)
2003 = 5.7 to 6.3 %
2004 = 5.4 to 5.7 %
2005 = 4.8 to 5.4%
2006 = 4.4 to 4.8%
Because President Bush CREATED JOBS, that INCREASED the TAX BASE. And he didn't have the benefit, as Clinton did, of this thing called the .. uh.. "Internet Boom"
And he did it with TAX CUTS !!!!