Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

What happened in 1962 to convince Ronald Reagan to formally leave the Democratic Party and become a Republican?

"I didn't leave the Democratic Party. The party left me." -- Ronald Reagan, Aug 1962

Favorite Answer

He disagreed with their economic policies, and he was influenced by liberal-economics, disagreeing the the democrats keynesianism. Ergo, the party left him

Hello ,

Remember ,, there were a whole lot of Democratic Liberals back then that stood for great things . However a bit ahead of his time ,Maybe , Reagan saw the Liberals were just barely starting to change into Socialists . When 1970 came ..people were changing very very fast .. overnight even .... it was all over . Liberals began to change into unargualbly tough people to deal with . I noticed . That is one of the reasons I joined the Military . Went that direction because I believed things would make better sence to me . Granted the 60's and 70's were fun , but in the midst of the 70's we hardly knew what was going on as far as America losing its innosence . Now I know better and never forget the MIlitary personnel fighting while I was having the time of my life . Joining the Military was a great void I had to fill and feel better about myself . I suppose Reagan knew something some of us did not .. and now ,, some of us could agree Reagan and the Democratics parted ways partly because of the over population of ignorance whithin the Democratic Party .

Nancy

• wtinc

Water under the bridge, Can you move forward in history to the current time here bud\?

The whole Civil rights thing was just too socialist for him to handle.

• He realized that calling yourself a Democrat didn't alter the fact that you are really a Socialist.

• He was a bit too smart for Democrat's.

Money

He found his common sense.

he got sober