Is this tinnitus permanent?

Since late Saturday night (after playing Xbox with a good friend), we went to bed, and I began to hear a ringing sound. This ringing sound continued into Sunday, through Monday, and now up until Tuesday night. It has not stopped, unless I stop thinking about it. For the past couple of hours, I've been doing English homework that keeps me from getting my head off the subject, so I've continued to hear this sound. Whenever I can manage to stop thinking about my tinnitus, I don't notice it (or even really think it exists). This gives me a question: Is my symptom caused by my own worrying (or being induced my own thoughts)?

My mom thinks that I might have this from drumming, however, I always wear headphones or earplugs when I'm on my drumset. However, at school, I never use it (but the sounds aren't loud, due to high-quality sound absorption units). I also have allergies to pollen and such, which is said to be a cause of tinnitus. I've also had a seemingly long buildup of wax in my ears, which has also been said to be a cause of tinnitus.

My question last questions are simple: Will this be a permanent symptom I'm going to have to work with for the rest of my life? And is this something I can get cleared up by going to the doctor and getting my ears cleaned out?

I heard that it can be permanent if it's not wax or stress related. This gets me to worry about whether this is a natural deformity of my ear, or whether noises have cause this (even though I never have my iPod volume above half).

2

Source(s): BREAKTHROUGH in Tinnitus Research http://Trusted.eTinnitus.xyz/ndtx1O

You are right. There are lots of causes of tinnitus. And depending on the cause, it will be temporary or permanent. You should to see an ear, nose and throat specialist (otolaryngologist). That doctor can help you figure out the cause. Be aware, though, that sometimes they cannot say why the tinnitus is happening. Medical science does not have a way of curing it, but there are ways to make the permanent form less bothersome.