What is Ecuador like?

I might be going there for an abroad experience I want to know what it is like! Thank you (:

• OC
    Favorite Answer

Hi sonrisa :)

I spent some time in Ecuador last year and really liked it. It is a beautiful country, nice people, a lot of interesting things to see and to do. You have amazing landscapes in the Andes Mountains, a lush jungle, and a beautiful coastline. The cost of living in Ecuador is very inexpensive. I stayed in Quito for a while and was able to get lunch or dinner for under $ 2.00, however, only at places frequented by the locals, not by the tourists of course. American fast food restaurants like McDonalds and KFC are actually pretty expenisve. You should shop where the local shops, and that is the open air markets.

I don't know where in Ecuador you will be going to, but probably Quito. The city is high up in the mountains, and sometimes it is a little difficult to breathe if you are not used to the high altitude, howerver, you get used to it after a while. Quito has a beautiful and well preserved old town. Most action in Quito is in the neighborhood of Mariscal, which is centrally located.

Ecuador has different climate zones depending on the area you are in. It could be a temperate climate or hot and humid like in the jungle in the southern coastal part around Guayaquil.

Have a great time in Eucador, you'll love it.

• Jess

Ecuador has a ton of variety in a very small area. There is the Pacific coast, the Andes mountains and the Amazon jungle all within hours of each other. So there's tons to see and lots of fun things to do.

For more info on Ecuador see the link below...

It's mountainous so it has high elevations (unless you stick to ground level). If you go to the capitol, it is right on the equator, so you can go to Mitad del Mundo and be in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere at the same time. There's also lots of places to shop, eat, etc.