promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Beckett from Castle calling a woman "Sir"?

I missed the first episode of the season but when I tuned in for the second Beckett is calling the new lady in charge a "sir"? I may of been mishearing it but that's what I keep hearing. Why is this?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Isabel
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Nope, you aren't mishearing. In the episode with the new captain, she bristled when being called ma'am and said don't call me ma'am, call me sir.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

I am not sure why this was written in the script as in the military (at least, I don't know about police) ranking female officers are always addressed as Ma'am

• 9 years ago

I don't know anything about the series, but here's my guess: There used to be a military protocol where women were called "Sir" and "Mister" rather than using gender-specific forms of address. The new captain (Gates, correct?) might just be old-school, which seems consistent with the "tough-as-nails" vibe I get from reading her character sketch at the show's Wikipedia article. Hope that makes sense and solves the mystery.

• No you are wrong. The is/was no military protocol to address females as "Sir". Females of higher rank are always addressed as "Ma'am".

• 6 years ago

Anyway who cares about the stupid protocol, it just isn't working, it is just distracting!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Nope, you hearing is just fine.

I think they did it for some humor, but really not that funny.

• Jillian7 years agoReport

it really isn't funny. as a woman, and a black woman, i find this slightly offensive. women in traditionally male power roles already have to fight being stigmatized, this just adds to it. not offended enough to stop watching Castle tho...i mean, i still watch Disney movies.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.