Beckett from Castle calling a woman "Sir"?

I missed the first episode of the season but when I tuned in for the second Beckett is calling the new lady in charge a "sir"? I may of been mishearing it but that's what I keep hearing. Why is this?

• Isabel
    Favorite Answer

Nope, you aren't mishearing. In the episode with the new captain, she bristled when being called ma'am and said don't call me ma'am, call me sir.

I am not sure why this was written in the script as in the military (at least, I don't know about police) ranking female officers are always addressed as Ma'am

I don't know anything about the series, but here's my guess: There used to be a military protocol where women were called "Sir" and "Mister" rather than using gender-specific forms of address. The new captain (Gates, correct?) might just be old-school, which seems consistent with the "tough-as-nails" vibe I get from reading her character sketch at the show's Wikipedia article. Hope that makes sense and solves the mystery.

• No you are wrong. The is/was no military protocol to address females as "Sir". Females of higher rank are always addressed as "Ma'am".

Anyway who cares about the stupid protocol, it just isn't working, it is just distracting!

Nope, you hearing is just fine.

I think they did it for some humor, but really not that funny.

• Jillian7 years agoReport

it really isn't funny. as a woman, and a black woman, i find this slightly offensive. women in traditionally male power roles already have to fight being stigmatized, this just adds to it. not offended enough to stop watching Castle tho...i mean, i still watch Disney movies.