Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 9 years ago

Can you help me with my grammar in my essay?...............?

During the time of the Salem witch trials, innocent people were hanged and pressed. Women, men, even the elderly… and what did they do that was so horrible you ask? They were accused of witchcraft, and not only were they accused, but they were accused on flimsy evidence. It all started when some of the town’s girls were having hallucinations. The girls accused their neighbors of bewitching them and soon the hysteria spread. “The Crucible” is a book that transports you back to that time period. One of the characters in the book is Abigail Williams, who happens to be one of the accusers is in love with John Proctor, a married man. She is stubborn, selfish, attention-seeking and manipulative just to name a few, so you can imagine she isn’t too happy when John says he no longer wants any part in their relationship. Abigail will not take no for an answer and will do anything to get John back, even go as far as drinking “a charm to kill John Proctor’s Wife!”

When Tituba confessed to witchcraft, Abigail then says “I want the light of God, I want the sweet love of Jesus! I danced for the Devil; I saw him; I wrote in his book; I go back to Jesus; I kiss his hand. I saw Sarah Good with the devil! I saw Goody Osborn with the Devil! I saw Bridget Bishop with the Devil,” and continues to confess to seeing more people with the devil.

Mrs. Proctor is accused of witchcraft after Mr. Cheever finds a needle inside of a poppet in the Proctor household; Of course, it only makes Mrs. Proctor seem even guiltier when Abigail says she was stabbed by a needle as well, which was obviously to frame Mrs. Proctor; Later, when Mr. Proctor brings Mary Warren, his servant to the court to save his wife Elizabeth after she is accused of witchcraft, Abigail denies it when Mr. Danforth says “Mary Warren claims that you sat beside her in the court when she made it, and that you saw her make it and witnessed how she herself stuck her needle into it for safe-keeping. What say you to that?”

Abigail is definitely the largest source of evil in “The Crucible.” She never hesitated and she was always the first person to cause drama. Due to her actions many innocents were prosecuted and children were left without parents.

Favorite Answer

During the time [years?] of the Salem witch trials, innocent people were hanged and pressed. Women, men, even the elderly… [and what did they do that was so horrible you ask?/ cut: too conversational] They were accused of witchcraft, and not only were they accused, but they were accused on flimsy evidence. It all started when some of the town’s girls were having hallucinations. The girls accused their neighbors of bewitching them and soon the hysteria spread. “The Crucible” is a book that transports [you/ the reader] back to that time period. One of the characters in the book is Abigail Williams, who happens to be one of the accusers[. She] is in love with John Proctor, a married man. She is stubborn, selfish, attention-seeking and manipulative [just to name a few/ cut], [This is your thesis, your claim, so I would end the first paragraph here. Maybe add another sentence to it, too, to emphasize your argument].

[flesh out this information, as Abigail's motive, in the next paragraph:]

so you can imagine she isn’t too happy when John says he no longer wants any part in their relationship. Abigail will not take ["no"] for an answer and will do anything to get John back, even go as far as drinking “a charm to kill John Proctor’s Wife!” (cite source, page #)

[Connect this para with the new one above:]

[That's why,] When Tituba confess[es] to witchcraft, Abigail then says “I want the light of God, I want the sweet love of Jesus! I danced for the Devil; I saw him; I wrote in his book; I go back to Jesus; I kiss his hand. I saw Sarah Good with the devil! I saw Goody Osborn with the Devil! I saw Bridget Bishop with the Devil,” and continues to confess to seeing more people with the devil. [add a couple lines here, explaining why she's making all these confessions: tie it in with her love for John]

[When Mr Cheever finds a needle inside a poppet at the Proctor house,] Mrs. Proctor [gets] accused of witchcraft. [Of course, it only makes Mrs. Proctor seem even guiltier when Abigail says she was stabbed by a needle as well, which was obviously to frame Mrs. Proctor/ She seems even guiltier when Abigail comes forward, claiming she'd been stabbed by the needle]. Later, when Mr. Proctor brings Mary Warren, his servant[,] to the court to save his wife Elizabeth [cut "Elizabeth" unless you call her that throughout] [after she is accused of witchcraft/ cut], Abigail denies it when Mr. Danforth says “Mary Warren claims that you sat beside her in the court when she made it, and that you saw her make it and witnessed how she herself stuck her needle into it for safe-keeping. What say you to that?” (page #)

Abigail is definitely the largest source of evil in “The Crucible.” She never hesitate[s] and she [is] always the first person to cause drama. Due to her actions[,] many innocents were prosecuted and children were left without parents.

I hope that helps. :)