Why are printers cheaper than the ink for them?

Favorite Answer

It's standard "razor blade" pricing (that term made famous by Gillette, who would sell you the razor at cost or even at a loss but keep selling you razor blades forever). If you look at the pricing of most low-end printers (ink jet and laser) today, it's hard to imagine that the manufacturers are really making much money on the machine itself (if any at all), especially when you take into account shipping costs, markup by the distributor and retailer, etc. But once you buy their printer, they expect to sell you lots of ink or toner over its lifetime. So in effect, they are subsidizing the cost of the printer by the long-term revenue of the supplies. You might think that many people would buy refilled or recharged cartridges, but (and I wish I could find the report I saw that detailed this) it's actually a small percentage of the total ink/toner market--most people actually just buy them new.

Cheers!

Dan

• flitt

Printer Cheaper Than Ink

• Adrian

Printer vendors practically give away the printers, knowing people have to buy the cheap ink at inflated prices. The profit is in the ink, a consumable commodity...

Either because it takes a lot of money to produce the ink, or companies are just plain greedy. I think its a bit of both.

Source(s): Myself.