Traditional Gender Roles and The Military?

I'm set to leave for the Navy in January, I was raised in a home where traditional gender roles were very mug enforced. It was never anything crazy I was taught to be sure that men treated me fairly and with respect but I was also taught that the women were supposed to be cook and clean and take care of the... show more I'm set to leave for the Navy in January, I was raised in a home where traditional gender roles were very mug enforced. It was never anything crazy I was taught to be sure that men treated me fairly and with respect but I was also taught that the women were supposed to be cook and clean and take care of the family. The men were supposed to provide and protect.

The thing is I'm really okay with this. I love to cook and Im one of the oldest of 7 children and I've gotten very used to taking care of kids. Navy runs in my family's blood; every single man in my family has been for the past 5 generations. I'll be the first woman to be in the service. The only reason why my father and other family member even approve is because they look at it as me taking care of thousand of men and serving the ones whom serve our country. And I agree. But here's the question;

Can I keep having these types of thoughts while in the service or will all the other women hate me? At DEP meetings I met a girl that told me she was going to be a Seabee and I had to hold my tongue to make sure I didn't insult her by saying "that's a mans job". I'm not saying that I believe in traditional gender roles in a severe 1901 way where women shouldn't work and the man can beat the women when ever she wants or anything crazy like that. I actially believe all house wifes are lazy and should be able to handle working and caring for the home. But women from the beginning of history have been the support system and men the defenders.

I'm just looking for opinions on traditional gender roles and the military.