Amberly asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

What is causing my cookies to burn?

I heated up the premade cookie dough and this has been happening a lot where I have the cookies in the oven and the bottoms burn, but the tops are still raw! :( Today, my cookies were in the oven for 4 minutes on a greased cookie sheet on 300. Whats going on? :(

Like I said, they are pre made cookies so I didn't use flour

Favorite Answer

Perhaps your rack in the oven is too low.

You should always try to bake things in the very center of the oven. Convection ovens (the type typically in homes) have the heat source on the bottom so the heat can rise, then fall once it cools back down, then back up when it heats back up...etc... So if your cookies are too close to the bottom, that heating element will heat up the bottom a lot quicker than it can heat the top. Thus burned cookies.

When baking cookies, you follow the same rule as scrambled eggs; If it looks done in the pan, it is over cooked. You should pull your cookies out when the tops no longer appear moist and they just barely start to brown around the edges.

Also cookies do not go on a greased pan. If you are worried about sticking, line your pan with foil or parchment paper :).

Hope this helps you out :).

Source(s): I'm a baker.
  • Rli R

Since you are using premade cookie dough, you might check the container to see if it says to use an ungreased or greased cookie sheet.

But the only thing I can think of that would cause the burning would be baking them too close to the bottom. Most people bake them on the middle rack. I like to bake them on the top. And depending on the cookies, I generally bake either 350 or 375 but prefer 350. The 375 makes them crispier but the 350 makes them chewier.

Hope that helps.

Never bake on the bottom rack. Instead of greasing the cookie sheet use parchment paper and then but the cookie dough on top of it and stick it on the top rack. Also keep in mind that cookies continue to bake even when you remove them from the oven.

I agree with the others that say maybe the shelf in the oven is too low... I would try raising your temp to at least 350 too... You may need to also check your oven to see if the temperature is corret - some ovens can get "off" in temperature and it may be hotter than you think..

Good luck!

And I ALWAYS cook all cookies on parchment. They will turn out much better.

Source(s): Baker
  • rall

Ifyou are utilising a dismal colored cookie sheet or a tin foil lined pan then it is the difficulty. If no longer then that's achievable the temp isn't registering suitable. My oven is like this so I prepare dinner the cookies fairly much less time than it states so the bottoms do no longer burn and then I place it on broil to get the tops the colour i prefer them.

You should be cooking near the top of the oven, and check the instructions as the temperatures range from 400F down to about 350F depending on type.

maybe try not greasing the sheet it usually says place on a ungreased sheet

The flour. Do not use it. Never use it. The people, and cooking books all lie. DO NOT USE FLOUR!!