Is it okay to address wedding invites to a whole family, rather than each by name?

I have some friends with complicated family situations, some of which I don't know the whole story of. I also have friends with large families. I also have at least one friend who I know has a daughter, but I don't know the daughter's name. Is it okay to address these type of invitations to the whole family?

For example:

Smith Family

123 Main St.

Chicago, IL 54321

Would it be implied that the children were also invited? Would it be better to address it to "John & Jane Smith & Family"?

And would this also be okay for a family whose children are adults and recently moved out, but I don't have the children's address?

One family I literally have no other way to contact (besides their address). I doubt their daughter still lives with them (she's 24), but I don't have time to write them, ask for her address, and get a response in time. Suggestions?

Favorite Answer

By putting "Smith Family" on the invitation, it's implied that you mean the Mr and/or Mrs Smith and their children living at home. If you would like their older children who have moved out to be included also, you could write a little note inside the invitation that says something along the lines of: "Would love to see you all there- I don't have Mary's address but I hope she can make it as well!"

If you would only like to invite the adults of the household you could label it "Mr. and Mrs. Smith"

When addressing your wedding invitations, don't take shortcuts. Use the formal titles, etc.

For example:

Mr. and Mrs. Paul Smith and Family

on the inside envelope:

Paul, Mary, Tommy and Sue

Even if it's your grandma/grandpa or aunt/uncle

on the inside enveolpe it would say

Grandma and Grandpa

or

Uncle George and Aunt Florence

Adult children get their own invitation whether living at home or not. If you don't have the address, make every effort to get it. If you can't (can't imagine why) then their invitation should be addressed as follows:

Miss Amy Brown

c/o Mr. and Mrs. John Brown.

It would be fine to address it to families providing that you make it clear exactly who is being invited. You could put in a loose paper with the names plus partner so that you end up with correct numbers. If you don't know the name then put Mr & Mrs Smith, Miss Smith & Partner, or Daughter & partner, etc. For the ones whose addresses you do not know, you should either find out their addresses from the parents or send them a separate invite at care of the parents address and they will forward it. If they do not live at the same addresses then they should not have the same invite.

• Sondra

I can tell that you are inviting a bunch of strangers to your wedding, which is kind of strange, really. If you don't have an address, you need to call up the family and get it. If you don't have their phone number, I would have to question why they're invited??? Both "Smith Family" and "John & Jane Smith & Family" indicate that you are inviting adults and all of their children living at home. Adult children not living at home should receive a separate invitation.

The Smith Family and Children

John and Jane Smith and Children

It's OK only if the whole family lives at the same address. Children that moved out need their own invitations.

JoinMe is the only one whose given you the correct answer. You don't take shortcuts on wedding invitations and unless you want uninvited people showing up, you need to get very specific on the inner envelope.

• Kriss

"Smith Family" is fine as long as you are prepared for the entire household to show up.

well, my sister just got married and on some of her invitations, she'd put, for example:

The Smith family

123 Main St.

Chicago, IL 54321

Source(s): my brain ( hahhhah) =)

dont be concerned about the envelope address. the invitations usually worded

john smith and guest

john smith and ___ guest(s)

ask someone to help you on items that need to be researched