Do you prefer reading in first person or third person?

Does first person feel more personal to you?

Does third person give you a better sense of your surroundings?

Best Answer

I have no preference, as long as it's right for the story.

First person is great for giving a particular point of view that tends to be biased in some way, or a voice that would get lost if it was written in Third person. But first person is annoying when I know there's a bigger story happening, that the point of view doesn't allow me to see.

Like Hunger Games - I loved the first of the series, and first person was great for that particular story, but as the story grew, Katniss's point of view became more and more irritating as I wanted to see the story from a bigger perspective than just her limited view.

Third person can feel intimate, even when it's not inside a person's head. We still get their thoughts and their perspective, even though it's not directly THERE at all times.

I like third person for "big" stories, with many characters and a large world. I like first person for more intimate stories, with a few really important characters and a single character who bears the brunt of the story.

Neither is "better" than the other.

First person provides a limited perspective. I prefer third person. In fact, I have given up reading some interesting stories because it was written in first person.

• S.K.

I have a preference for 1st person, but I'm happy with third person limited, too. However, I'll stop reading a book in omniscient.

I prefer first person.. because you kind of get deep into the character and their feelings. But I would read in any person :)

Doesn't matter what it's written in but how.

I like first and third person. Whatever works best for your story.

• God

I prefer first person because it's like you're in the character's body, feeling what they feel.

Third person.

1st. :)

I read about a book a day

I dont mind, it depends how well its written.