What is the theological understanding(s) of jinns as the cause of mental illness in Islam?

I have posted this question before and got some excellent answers (thanks especially to Sarah Bint Jihad). I am re-posting on it on principal (it should not have been deleted) and because one of the respondents sent me a link to an excellent You-Tube video on the topic that I simply cannot seem to find. My... show more I have posted this question before and got some excellent answers (thanks especially to Sarah Bint Jihad). I am re-posting on it on principal (it should not have been deleted) and because one of the respondents sent me a link to an excellent You-Tube video on the topic that I simply cannot seem to find.

My question is this:

Islam has historically shown compassion and kindness to the mentally ill (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_... and also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology_... in this regard). In medieval times, when the mentally ill were cruelly persecuted in Christian Europe, Muslim physicians posited that mental illness was the product of chemical imbalances etc and not personal fault. Even Mohammed (PBUH) said that three categories of people should be spared judgement, "the child, until he reaches puberty, the sleeping until he wakes, and the insane until he becomes sane."

This notwithstanding, I was watching a documentary on Al Jazeera World News this afternoon about mental illness in Pakistan, and about the immense stigma attached to it. The documentary did not touch on the issue of jinns, but, as can be expected (and as is the case in non-Muslim countries too) highlighted the fact that people were not educated about mental illness etc, which obviously lends way to greater stigma. Upon further research I found that many people believe mental illness is the result (exclusively) of possession by jinns.

What would a more educated, and soundly theological view on this issue be? Can jinns cause mental illness? Does this negate the influence of chemical imbalances etc? How do you know if someone is biologically mentally ill as opposed to possessed by a jinn? What is your view on this issue?

Thanks to all who answer.
Update: @Rosy Pearl - Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is Athan and/ or Dhikr?
Update 2: @Sub-Poof- What are pirs?
Update 3: @Cool - I appreciate your concern, but I am interested in garnering a variety of opinions on the issue - And Sub-Poofy did state he was offering an opinion. I think that both your responses are very interesting and would like to thank you both for answering. Unfortunately I lost the link to the You-Tube video when... show more @Cool - I appreciate your concern, but I am interested in garnering a variety of opinions on the issue - And Sub-Poofy did state he was offering an opinion. I think that both your responses are very interesting and would like to thank you both for answering. Unfortunately I lost the link to the You-Tube video when my question got deleted! Hopefully someone will re-post it! :)